Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stupid question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dmntd, Sep 30, 2004.

1. dmntd

dmntd Registered Member

How long can a transfer case last (it is cracked and someone tried to patch it but it leaks) if it runs out of transmission fluid? I am wanting to go a 200 miles (round trip) to hit a junk yard for a transfer case, transmission, and body parts. I haven't pinpointed the crack and leak yet. But it seems everytime I park it after driving I get about 12oz or so of fluid on the ground. Just a ball park figure or do you think it will make it down there and back?

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

If it's completely out of fluid, chances are very good you will not make 200 miles! The heat it will experience will for sure kill the internals, not to mention the lack of lubrication on the numerous bearings.

You don't have any other vehicle you can drive/borrow to go to the junkyard?

Maybe a better question is...you're willing to go spend the money on a new T.C. when all you have to do is find a leak? Dude, find the leak and fix it. Someone can walk you through the process for sure.

3. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

dude...thats your call. 12 oz is a significant leak and don't think i'd do it...surely u have a buddy with a truck thatd help ya out to pick parts. A tow home will prolly cost a lot of dough! (a local U-haul rental is like 29.95/day isn't it??) just a thought!

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Fill it up completely, maybe even overfill it just a little and roll....repeat before the trip back.

5. sponsoredbydad

sponsoredbydad Dune Slaying Sand Junkie Premium Member GMOTM Winner

IF YOU HAVE TRANSMISSION FLUID COMMING OUT OF YOUR TC YOU HAVE A BIGGER PROB SHOULD HAVE GEAR OIL IN IT BUT YES DON'T CHANCE IT RENTAL TRUCK VRS TC NO BRAINER /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

6. ncbloodhound

ncbloodhound 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    IF YOU HAVE TRANSMISSION FLUID COMMING OUT OF YOUR TC YOU HAVE A BIGGER PROB SHOULD HAVE GEAR OIL IN IT BUT YES DON'T CHANCE IT RENTAL TRUCK VRS TC NO BRAINER /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry by my 241 runs on ATF.

7. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

ya if its a 208 or 241 it'll be ATF...205 is gear, 203 is 10w-40 motor oil for full time, and gear oil for parttime /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    now if he woulda filled out his profile, we woulda known for sure /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

So does my 208.

Not all cases use gear oil.