Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stupid reverse light bulb question?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AJMBLAZER, Jan 6, 2007.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Big Ugly's reverse lights are dim as can be and I was thinking about picking up some brighter lights. I've run these in other vehicles and the difference is very noticeable (in my '99 Ram you could actually SEE behind you with them):

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2003659/p-2003659/N-111+10201+600002844/c-10101

I used to know this but can't for the life of me remember now...what's the difference between a 1156 bulb and a 1157 bulb? Can you use a 1157 bulb in place of a 1156?

All they seem to have anymore are the 1157 50-watt bulbs.:confused: Interestingly both Big Ugly and my '96 Tracker use the same 1156 bulbs.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

single VS dual...

An 1156 bulb is a single filament bulb,usually used for back up lights..the 1157 bulbs are double filament,usually used for brake ,tail,and directional bulbs..

You might be able to stuff an 1157 in a 1156 socket-(not sure,I think the tits on the side of the bulb differ,one is staggered,the other has them directly across from each other..that will light both filaments up,and it'll be brighter than just one filament..

After being blinded behind a dump truck the other night by its LED tail lights, I'd say am LED bulb for the back up lights would be a big improvement..some of the guys I know who plow used small old halogen headlight buckets ,like those from a 90's Grand Prix,that take a #9004 bulb and modify them for use as back up lights..no problem seeing behind you in their trucks!..:crazy:

3. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Or just get a set of these and mount them up under the truck...Depending on how much lift you have even if your lights are bright enough they are just too high to be helpful...so I got a set at Wally world for like $20 and tossed them on...

Trig 014.jpg

4. AJMBLAZER

diesel, thanks. I figured it wouldn't but you never know.

Interesting thought on the 9004. Did any of them have wiring problems or did they have to upgrade the wiring?

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I have a set of those 50watt bulbs in my housings, not the style in the pics from that link though..

They are a huge improvement, although not like headlights, or aux lighting monuted anywhere, but definately much better than stock.

6. AJMBLAZER

Were'd you get them?

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

:haha: :p: :D Autozone

8. burban89

burban89 1/2 ton status

I have a set I just took out of my burban. If you want them you can have them, just let me know.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

no trouble!..

Those plow guys don't change much of anything unless they absolutely have too!..I'd have used a heavy duty switch and a relay, and some heavier wire,but they just cut and spliced the original back up light wires, and connected them to the halogen bulbs-:eek1:
    ---not to be outdone by his buddy,one guy wired them so both the high and low beams came on at the same time..but I bet if they left it in reverse for too long ,it would have melted the wires,or the back up light switch--they did have to put higher amp fuses in the fuse box though (another no-no !)..

I suspect the cold temparature helped keep things from getting too hot...one thing for sure,it was quite well lit up behind their trucks!..the rear lights were as bright (or brighter) than the front headlights,being old school 6014 sealed beams!..

I think a couple of those new LED bulbs that fit 1156 sockets might be the easy way out..no modifications or wiring,and much brighter..I hear they last longer than regular bulbs too..might be worth looking into..:crazy:

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I wouldn't waste the money on those L.E.D. lights,,,i tried the replacement ones for the brake/running lights, they didn't work out so well...they don't reflect off the reflective part of the housing, they just show up as a spot out the cover.

I would imagine the same would go with the white ones, won't reflect off the rear part of the housing, won't look as bright.

11. AJMBLAZER

Yep, check your PM's.

diesel, yeah, I figured it had it's "iffyness". The first thing that came to mind was when I had the aforementioned Ram and guys were buying these HID headlight kits off of Ebay and then proceeding to melt their stock wiring harnesses. I was wondering just how safe this was with 20 year old wiring looms not ment to run headlights...:crazy:

LED's work great but they have their limits. I just got one of those motion powered flashlights that has a LED and it doesn't provide a large area of illumination due to it not having any reflecter device. I was out walking the dog a while ago and instead of the big illuminated area of my Maglight it just makes this foot wide bright spot on the ground. However, it can ride around in the glovebox for years and will never need batteries. That's why I bought it.
    I'd imagine LED taillights would do something similar...it's ricerific. Looks neat and has fancy features you pay extra for but doesn't actually do as much as the conventional stuff does.