Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stupid Rust!! who has replaced floor boards????? UPDATED LMC FLOORS SUCK!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bablazer73, Feb 7, 2003.

1. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Well, this is really Piskin me off!! I bought a truck from a state that doesn't dump a ton of salt to avoid this problem!! BUT the NY salt is killin another. What was just scaley rust last fall is now a floor board hole!! This truck is just coming apart. I have to replace the drivers side floor on my 87 blazer. I looked at LMC trucks and Chevy duty. Neither have a floor piece that has what I need. The standard floor piece is just the front 1/2 of floor. Mine is pokin through where the REAR of my seat bolts down. LMC has a universal rear floor section, covers 73-91. But these floors changed through out the years. They can't tell me what I have to change to make it fit. I guess it doesn't come with the seat reinforcements on it either. Anybody who has done floors on 87 run into this? and what did you use??????? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I was in a hurry to get this fixed. I only have limeted time. I ordered from LMC, the front floor, rear floor, inner, outer rockers and cab mounts. WHAT A JOKE THESE ARE!! about the only thing that fit was the outer rocker skin!! The rear floor pan didn't fit at all!! We didn't even use the front. I had to use the rear, but the seat mounts on the tin was raised and my floors were recessed!!! We ended up leaving 1/2 the rusty floor in and laying pieces of this over the top!! A major cob job!! but at least my seat is up were it belongs!! The front cab mount fit better in the rear, and the rear didn't seem to fit anywhere!! I am only gonna keep this truck a couple years, If it lasts!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Gonna have to do other side soon though!!

2. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

Re: Stupid Rust!! who has replaced floor boards?????

I redid all the floors on my 88 about 3 years ago .I bought my front floor pieces from www.autobodyspecialt.com I got the entire front cargo area in 4 pieces And as I remember the rear sections came up right in the middle of the seat so they might be the pieces you need .There prices are great and the quality is ok .with a little trimming they will weld right in. But they do not come pre drilled or reinforced ..What I did was cut 3x6 inch plates out of 16 gage metal studs and welded em in and drilled through em .My seats are real solid ......Hope this helps good luck /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I have a little rust problem with my 87 K5...Mine has holes in the rear cab corners (right where it steps up for the bed)I bought the front cab floors from LMC and they are like 22ga steel, way too thin IMHO..So I am in the process of buiding the entire cab floor in my garage out of 16ga steel..I am building the cab floor from the footwell to the back, including part of the tranny hump...I am going to mark it with a sharpie and then use my friends plasma cutter and then weld the floor together...then when it warms up outside, I am gonna use the plasma to cut out my old cab floor and weld the new one in...then I am going to get the entire inside of my blazer Armorthaned (like Rhino liner only better /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif)

Chris

4. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

this is what was done with mine- all the rusty crap was cut out..and new metal put in. They used 16ga and it's plenty tough. Mine had the front, the cab corners, the well where back seat feet go, and the "bed"...
    will be either rhino or herculined this spring.

Brandy

5. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting

I have an 87 and here is what I did.
    Pulled out the seats, cleaned up the floors, had the cracks welded up and some plate welded in at the back of the seats.
    I took some card board and made a templet and had my friend plasma cut out new peices to fit. Then I coated the floors with POR-15 (it loves rust), installed the peices over the other floor after painting them. I used rivits and sealed the edges. This way I can remove them if I need to later.
    I added some silicone between the peices to keep them from oil canning, put the seats back in and was all set. It didn't cost very much, did a nice job and was easy. You can see pictures here FLOOR REPAIR with notes on all pictures.
    <font color="red"> I will never put carpet in my truck again! CARPET = RUST </font color> Good luck.

6. bablazer73

Well, I do want to kep carpet in this truck. This 87 is my everyday truck. My off roader already has the floors herculined! I guess it looks like I am gonna have to fab something up.

7. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I replaced my floor last fall for the same reason. I originally was only going to patch some sheetmetal in but ended up replacing the whole subframe and both sides in the cab. I've got some pictures of it on my club's site here... K5 Floor Replacement I used 16ga sheetmetal for the floor, 2x2 and 2x3 .120 wall box tube for the subframe, and made a separate seat frame that bolts in so the seats aren't supported by the sheetmetal. All the seams are sealed with Napa Premium Seam Sealer and the whole thing is undercoated. I just used flat white rustoleum paint inside for now cause it's going to get herculined this summer... I ran out of time in the fall. It came out pretty decent and it's MUCH stronger than before.

BTW, I put the rocksliders in the year before, which saved my butt... they held the cab together and up on jackstands so I could cut the whole floor apart without anything moving too badly. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting

Maybe if you make the carpet easy to remove and dry out ounce and a while that would help.

9. bablazer73

Man, That is some impressive tin work!! I wish I had that kind of time! I will have only 1 day to repair floor. I Was hoping somebody had a source that I haven't found for a good Replacement floor. I haven't even worked on My real project!! I hate to keep using what little time I have to keep fixing this truck!! I have 2 days off a week, and 1 belongs to the wife! And this is my daily driver, so i got nothin else to drive If i don't get it done!

10. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

I hear ya on the daily driver dilema (been there done that).The only other option I can think of to save you time and money would be to go to your local bone yard and find a k-5 that is stripped down and scope out the floors for the pieces you need .Then just have them cut out the sections you need .Then clean em up cut out the bad parts and weld the new cheater panels in .They will already be preformed for welding and most places wont charge you that much for used sheetmetal .Just make sure that you cut out all the rust or it will come creeping back with time .also por 15 all the exposed cuts and shiny metal and that should work out great for ya..good luck let us know how it turns out.. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. bablazer73

I wish that was even an option! There is no such thing as a rust free body over here!! That is why I went to a different state to get this truck. I know you get snow, but your state doesn't drop 65 million tons of salt each time the snow is over an inch!! I may have to pospone repairs for a couple weeks while I track down parts. I know non of my yards has anything. any yards near you that might?

12. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

Called a couple of yards and they do'nt have any k-5s at all??? So I called autobodyspecialt-1-860-346-4989.. and got you the part #s you need they are c-390L c-390R They are $79 a side but they are out of stock for 2 weeks .Man we must be starting a k-5 fad everyone wants one /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif other than that dude I will keep my ears open for ya but in the meantime call around to see if you can get the floor panels.... good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

13. bablazer73

Thanks for checkin. I already called autobodyspecialty. but with shipping over to me, with all the other parts, it's more than LMC. I figure we are just gonna cut the drivers side out. Do floor, rocker, and front mount all in one shot. I'll do something with the floor support to make it stronger.

14. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

I went to autobody specialties and looked at their rear floor for the K5 and they suck. The bends are not crisp like the ones that are in the truck. And they are bare steel not black. They have some retired metal fab guy making most of their panels that aren't from Fit rite. I replaced my entire floor. The front floor and the rear floor (rocker side) will not line up correctly. No matter where you buy them from. The panels are made by Fit Rite, and they don't match exactly. Autobody specialties also sell the lower rear sidewall behind doors panel, they also don't fit. Too much modification to make it fit. I made a piece using 16 guage and am very happy. Now I only have one question to anyone. What is the subframe cab support and where is it? I don't recognize the pic that is in LMC Truck. I have an idea but not sure. Thanks.

15. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

damn i feel ur pain ny sucks that way!! you should see mine...its the reason im getting rid of ti right now!

16. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifI agree with ya on the pieces not fitting perfectly in place you do have to do some trimming to get them to fit .But these are not oem parts and they are conciderably cheaper .When I did my blazer over I looked into all oem parts and the price was over $1600 for everything .I went to abs and got all the pieces I needed for under $1000.I have been doing business with them for years and never had a problem .But thats my opinion /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

17. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

The rear floor that abs sells is the gm factory oem complete one piece bed assembly part # c-249 $489 maybe you looked at a different part But abs is the only place I know of that sells this oem part as a complete bed with rear sill .So are you saying that oem parts suck too /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

18. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

I wasn't talking about the rear bed. Was talking about the rear floor. I only live about an hour from them so I have seen their rear floor,and other parts. I used GM rear bed it was around $75 more then abs but closer. Their rear bed was OEM? They told me (before I did business with them) that their rear bed was GM. Abs is one of the cheapest dealrs around. C-249 is the rear bed not floor. The rear floor is between the front seat and the rear bed. I looked at thier 2002 book again and the price is $529 for their orig rear bed. Rear floor part # is C-390 is what I'm talking about. Thr rear part of the panel goes up about an inch. That is not OEM. Like I said I have seen their parts. I bought panels from a company in Rhode Island and ABS and all of the panels had Fit Rite stickers on them. Sorry for the confusion.

19. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Try this one Floor Parts Browse the colision catalog goto <font color="blue">rear body &amp; floor </font color> then <font color="blue"> floor pan </font color> I couldn't find a part # the piece is $ 395.00. E-mail them if you have a question. I ordered my sending unit from them and it was ACDelco and alot cheaper than anywhere else.

20. mattyblazer

mattyblazer 1/2 ton status

Those are some pictures, Great job.