Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stupid steering question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by schmuck, Feb 8, 2003.

1. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

Nov 11, 2002
    i thought it was my sway bar that was bent but its actualy the tube that connects the tie rod ends what i was wondering is can you take off the rod with the tie rod ends and after i beat it back straight can i reuse the old tie rods i need to know because im flat broke i know you can replace the middle tube but im not sure if the local parts store has it plus when i bent it it must have loosened the rod ends because now you can twist the bar back and forth the play is not on the threaded side its on the greasable side any help would be greatly appreciated sorry i cant spell
  2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Dec 28, 2001
    If there is lots of play at the "greaseable end", you need to replace whatever that end is attached to, at a minimum. That tie rod is usally one long bar with a non-removable end , with a threaded adjuster sleeve connecting it to the other side "short" tie-rod end.
    So, you can re-use your bar, however it is dangerous and not recommended. Plus, if it's loose, you should replace it anyhow. You'll need to adjust the toe when your done too.
    I know it's not what you want to hear, but the alternitive could be ending up head on in front of a semi. When it comes to steering components, don't skimp.
    Park the truck for a while until you have the $$ to do what needs to be done.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Feb 17, 2000
    So what you're saying is that when you twist the tie-rod from front to back the tierod ends pivot? That's normal. Don't worry about it.....

As far as getting the tierod itself straightened, I would recommend getting ahold of one from a local wrecker instead of trying to straighten the old one. Once a tube has been bent and then rebent back into position, a weak spot can develop. The place I would want a weak spot is somewhere in the steering setup.....