Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stupid thing won't start (help!)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rebelk5frk, Oct 3, 2002.

1. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Stupid thing won\'t start (help!)

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Alright my blazer died on me this morning. I seem to be getting fuel just fine and it turns over like a champ but I'm not getting anything at the spark plugs. I was looking around under the hood after it died and noticed the distributor cap wasn't snapped on tight and was just stitting on the distrib.

I've been at work all day and am just posting this during my lunch break to see what kind of responses I can get before I start checking it out further tonight after work.

Anybody wanna give up some ideas of what went terribly wrong? quickest possible fixes etc

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Re: Stupid thing won\'t start (help!)

<font color="green"> It didn't start even after getting the distributor cap snapped on all the way? If not, I'd try replacing the cap, rotor, and HEI module to start with. </font color>

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Pop the cap off and check to see if the rotor smacked the contacts on the cap. Might have broken the rotor if so, or, bent the contacts in the cap, which can be fixed easily.

Of course, if the cap and rotor are ok when you inspect them (clean the cap contacts while you are in there) then something else is wrong, but don't replace/throw away a good cap and rotor, because they obviously aren't the problem if they are visibly ok.

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Look for physical damage to the cap and rotor and make sure that the connectors are plugged in and and wires not broken.

Try to figure out why the cap came loose.

5. rebelk5frk

Thanks guys... just got home after a pretty scary tow home. I'll let everyone know what I find.

I don't know why it came off in the first place... might have been from bouncing around as hard as I was the last time I played... or possibly while replacing the clutch this past weekend. I could have bumped the cap when the engine tilted back a bit. I dunno. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. rebelk5frk

It looks like a firecracker went off in between the rotor and cap. There is a huge hole on both peices and several little plastic chunks laying around under the rotor. Looks like the coil will still work... hopefully. Guess I'm off to the parts store.

Guess I couldn't be lucky and just have a loose wire or something. Go figure.

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

That is exactly what happened, it happened to me before. When you have the trany out the engine should be supported, and I didn't do that so the distributor which is conveniently a hair away from the firewall will lean hard and pop the cap off.
    I would have been really surprized if it hadn't been destroyed. But like you are hoping my coil was fine, I had an old cap with a bad coil laying around I replaced it and it ran fine.
    Remember with GM vehicles always support the engine. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    IceMan

8. rebelk5frk

Well I got it working again with a whole $11.88 worth of parts and about 15 minutes of my time. (including the trip to the parts store around the corner) So I guess I can't complain too much. (Yeah I went for the cheap stuff but screw it... it works!)

I did have the engine supported but I guess that inch or two it dropped down was a bit too much for that poor cap. I just wish I had my timing light handy today so I could have finally done a full tune up while I was messing with it all. Guess I'll just keep putting it off like I have been doing for 3 or 4 months /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

this happened to me a few a weeks ago. I had to replace the module. no biggy. id check the coil and module. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif