Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stupid toolbar on IE

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by unick, May 6, 2004.

1. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

Ok some website installed a tool bar on my IE. How can I get it off??

Lmk
    Nick

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Spybot Search & Destroy and/or Adaware /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif both available at Download.com Make sure to run the auto updates for them before running the scan, that will catch a lot more crap. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

adaware doesntr work for [darn]!!!

4. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    adaware doesntr work for [darn]!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif What is the name of the toolbar? Is it MySearch or iSearch?

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Download Mozilla(browser); IE blows.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

If it's the Lycos thing, you probably now have a dozen or so unknown .exe's installed and processes running.
    Use adaware, it's the easiest method, but make sure you download and install the update, and make sure you're using build number 181, earlier versions don't detect much of the modern crap that's out there.
    After each scan, scan again, using custom settings to scan within archives and favorites. Scan over and over again until the scan comes up with nothing.

I suspect these things are being deployed by sh!tty and unscrupulous advertising companies that place the ads in popup windows. They either exploit Windows security holes, or prompt you to install something (most people unconsciously click "yes" when prompted). 3 machines at work got it shortly after they each visited the same website, which had just changed it's popups.
    Once one gets in, it seems to download and install dozens more.

Also, if you have a firewall, block "advertising.com" and "Zedo.com". When I got hit with some bitchy little spyware/popup POS, I blocked those domains and saw a TON of hits attempted on them. F***kers should be hacked and shutdown, they're ruining the internet for corporate users that will soon end up getting access turned off because of the risks they cause. If there were grounds to sue them, we should get a class action suit going to close thier operation down.

When I used Mozilla it was a dog...

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Adaware works good for me also. You pretty much have to do what newyorkin says.You must keep ad-aware updated it is usless without updates. The newer spyware can be difficult to remove once in your computer.
    I also scan with trendmicro.com
    Click on "Free Scan" It finds stuff my Norton anti virus misses. It is espically good at picking out trogan horse and back door virusses that spyware companys use to install their stuff on your computer. You have to be a little patient with it. It takes a little time to load and start working.

Also what newyorkin said about using firewalls is right on. I use the one That comes with my DSL service to block anything that gets thru to my comp. If a pop up makes it thru my seceurty settings. I block its domain name(s) with the firewall and never see it again.

8. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I had one once...forgot what it was, but when I typed in a bad web address i got a dotcom.com thingie I had to download somthing called shredder to get rid of it.