Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stupid tranny question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Jun 13, 2005.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

So I'm swapping the TH350 in my '74, seeing as some red-headed idiot seems to have cooked his old one. Burnt tranny fluid smells BAD. :mad:

Anyway, I'm also waiting on my doubler parts... so, the question:

Are there any seals between the tranny and the t-case, or can I mount the tranny up to the engine and run it without a t-case? Yes, I'll put the adapter foot thing and a crossmember in, and obviously the truck won't go anywhere :haha: ... but I wanna get the cooler and temperature gauge set up, and if I can do that while I'm waiting on my doubler, I'm in better shape to make BlazerFest :D

I don't really wanna put the NP203 in, just to pull it out in a week to set up the doubler.

-- A

2. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

Nope, the transfer case has the seal that separtates the trans fluid from the t-case fluid. No you cannot start the vehicle without the t-case connected or you will spill trans fluid everywhere. BTW. without the t-case how do you expect to move the vehicle without drivelines.

3. dremu

Crap.

Don't want to move it, just want to get the tranny cooler lines run and all the stuff hooked up ... trying to get what I can done now, so I have more time later ... the deadline of BlazerFest draws ever nearer :haha:

-- A

4. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

How about you hook everything up and not add fluid? No runnin the motor of course. :grin:

5. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

After I get my tranny back from the shop and put back in, I can give ya a hand here and there to get ya ready. I only have a few things left to prep for Blazerfest myself. What cooler did you get? I ran a cheap one for a couple of years and it sucked. Just installed a tru cool one and towed the trailer a few weeks ago. That cooler kicks a$$ (150-180* 95% of the time, on the hills in the mountains I maxed out at 210* for a few minutes at a time).

6. dremu

Well, that's the kicker -- I wanna leaktest the system and try out my new temperature gauge :D

'Sokay, ORD says my doubler shipped last week :pimp: :waytogo: so I just gotta wait.

-- A

7. dremu

I usually run the B&M's ... run one on my tow rig, f'rinstance, and it hasn't gotten above 160 thus far (admitted unladen). Just got the one for this rig from Summit (ordered it yesterday, just show up NOW, 9AM, wow!)

Glad to see I'm not the only one under the gun for B-Fest.

If I get in a pickle for time I'll letcha know; thanks!

When are you planning on going down to Hollister? I gotta see who I scrounge as spotter (which decides my schedule), but might be fun to convoy down there.

-- A

8. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

Either friday night or sat. morning, Probably saturday morning. Leaving sunday night to come home. Found out that my tranny is probably not worth fixing today. Think I am going to order a new one from Bowtie overdrives. Hope they can get it to me in time, so I can test it and get any bugs out before Blazerfest.