Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stupid tranny question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, May 1, 2006.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

This is a really stupid question but i put my tranny pan back on once w/ gasket and some permatex and it leaked.. so i took it off.. then i just used the gasket it self worked great for about 500miles.. then 2days ago my pan started leaking a ton again , theres a 2ft puddle under my truck after about 1hr, all the bolts are tight too, what am i doing wrong or could cause this?? it is leaking from the back of the pan of the 700r. thanks for any help guys :confused: :doah: :doah:

2. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

youre not overtightenign them are you ?

it will split the gasket at the bolt holes if you do

or you probably already know that

maybe the pan is warped

its very possible

also is the pan flat and ok at all the bolt holes and not raised around them ?

if so then its time ot flatten it with a ball peen hammer, or get another pan

rtv the cork gasket to the pan first, let that setup and then put it on the tranny dry, tighten bolts up snug but not so much as to press gasket out from between the pan and the case, gasket tack in a can on a brush is also good to attach the gasket to the pan and would technically be safer than rtv, just in case any of the rtv broke free inside the tranny and got into anything it shouldnt

if it leaks then something else is bad

good luck

3. bigkennye

bigkennye Registered Member

i would never use any rtv gasket sealer on a trans pan, the tranny fluid eats the gasket sealer and it causes particles to accumulate, and then what may happen is the valve body clogs and you blow a seal, that is what happened to mine, aaamco did the rebuild and because the truck sat for awhile, the warranty expired and i am screwed.