Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stupid Transmission Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cityfarmer2, Mar 22, 2006.

1. cityfarmer2

cityfarmer2 Guest

I have a 1989 K-5 that had the TBI-350 SBC and a TH700R4 tranny with the NP208 Transfer case installed when I purchasd it. All that is gone and I have installed my Built 350 SBC ,Carberated (Holley Street Avenger) with a TH400 and NP208, Now here is the Dumb Question, The kick down wire that is connected to the L/H side of the transmission,"single wire connection" where is this supposed to hook up to, recently smoked the tranny and truely believe this was the culprit, after a $1000.00 bucks in parts and labor and hours of cursing and sweating to remove and reinstall, I just want to make davvn sure it is hooked up correctly. :doah:
    1st "Where is the wire supposed to be connected to?"
    2nd "Does it receive constant power to the sensor or only after start up?"
    3rd " Any one else have a simular transmission failure?"
    Thanks and if you ever make it to South Korea I got the first round.

2. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That is the kickdown wire. When you put your foot to the floor, it sends 12 volts to a selonoid to kick down to the next gear. If you look at a truck that had a 400, the switch is on the gas pedal, just take the whole setup. I don't think that is what smoked the tranny though. Least I hope not, my 400 went too, and not sure if my kickdown works....

3. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

700s have a TV (throttle valve)? cable if this is out of adjustment it will smoke the tranny I have heard don't drive it unless you know it is adjusted right.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

look at your gas pedel piviot point under the dash. there needs to be a switch there. if not post a wanted thing in the for sale section for a 400 kick down switch bracket and switch.

5. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

doesnt he have a 700r4 though?

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

read the red i do that some times also.:doah:

7. JpEater

JpEater 1/2 ton status

You don't have to hook that wire up if you don't want passing gear. I have driven mine for 2 years and havent gotten around to hooking it up yet. It has nothing to do with the driveabilitly of the transmission. It will not hurt it without it hooked up. I don't know who built your trans for you but $1000 is a little steep to me! a TH400 rebuild usually goes for around $450 with a new converter around here. Keep in mind that many if not most transmission failures are heat related. Keep it cool. I have even used AC condensors as the transmisson cooler. They don't get any bigger than that.

8. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

:doah:

9. cityfarmer2

cityfarmer2 Guest

Thanks guys

Thanks all for the response, helped alot. Worked past the kickdown wire, parts on order through LMC, now onto trying to pull out all the TBI wiring to roll this baby back to a standard carb system and looks to be a peice of cake from here anyone need the left overs.......

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

All kinds of people want that system, if you don't cut anything, should be able to get a few bucks out of it no problem.

11. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Shipping from Korea may kill the deal, though.

As far as the kickdown switch, I know Caddys used one mounted to the intake manifold. If you can't find the right truck parts, there are always other options. ;)

12. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Maybe a Chevy-loving serviceman would buy it and ship it home with their personal goods when they do their next PCS back to the states? Some of the TVs and stereo systems I've seen sent back are a lot bigger and heavier than that TBI system.

13. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Where there's a will, there's a way...