Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stupidest thing you've ever done while workin on your Blazer?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JohnnyFresno, Jul 16, 2002.

1. JohnnyFresno

JohnnyFresno 1/2 ton status

Stupidest thing you\'ve ever done while workin on your Blazer?

Well this was funny as hell. I went over to my buds house to change my u-joints and his brake pads. The night before I hadnt gotten any sleep at all so I had to go do this sh:t all wired out. Anyways he told me to chalk the tires. His kids had some sidewalk chalk laying around in the garage. I grabbed a piece and handed it to him and said here you go.

That is about the stupidest thing I have ever done. I could'nt belive I did it myself.

What about you?

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Re: Stupidest thing you\'ve ever done while workin on your Blazer?

LMAO!!!!

3. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Thats the funniest thing I've read in a long time.

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That is too good! I do hope you at least played it off as a joke. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

5. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Safety first at least that was on your mind.....FLOL

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Well, when removing the battery cables, just slipped my mind, dont let the wrench touch the frontend! Gave me one hell of a start! Jumped 5 feet into the air. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Knocked myself out crawling out from underneath it once /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif . I had opened the passenger side door and rolled out went to stand up and hit the back of my head on the open door /forums/images/icons/mad.gif . Worst part was I wuz holding my front driveshaft in my hands. As I fell, I hit my forehead with my driveshaft. I think that's what did it really. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif Hurt like HELL!! But woulda made a hilarious funniest home video! LOL!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Wasn't on the Blazer, but we had a car on the lift, pulled the tranny. I was on the tail, my friend on the front. He stood up comeing out from under the car and dumped tranny fluid all over my head. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

9. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

also not on a blazer, but on my old C20 pickup, I was pulling the tranny to do a clutch removal... an SM465, and I was alone. the Jack started to slip, and compress, before I was ready for it to, so I let out a bellow loud enough to get my dad coming from inside the house... he came out dove under the truck cussin' about stupid things I do to get myself killed, stopped the jacks descent, and sighed about the same time I did... .then, the tranny slid off the jack, and fell on me. in the most utter form of luck, it didn't crush me, or kill me, or anything like that... while it was falling, I managed to push it sideways, so that it bumped off my chest, and landedon the concrete next to me, ( forutnately missing my arm by a few inches...)

the only other stupid mistake, I only made once: started to drop a started, and had forgotten to DISCONNECT THE BATTERY... it sucked..

-Rich

10. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

One of the dumbest things I did was,after draining the oil the phone rang. Came back the K5,and then started filling up the engine with oil. About 2 qt's into it a realized what I did. *Forgot to put the drain plug back in* Doh! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

11. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

hehe i had a friend who was rebuilding an engine, and couldnt get any oil pressure, turned out he left a rag in the pan when he put it back on, got all chewed up and clogged the oil pump...
    luckily he figured it out before the bearings overheated and locked

12. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I climbed inside the engine compartment and was leaning on the carb to reach the dist cap... my knee busted the fuel line and I got a nice cut on my knee... then there was trying to lift my bench seat out alone... a heavy bench seat... I had it half out, it slipped and I dropped it on my foot... doh... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

13. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Ohhh, I got one.

Working on a Lumina, engine running and saw this pile of stuff sitting by the coil-pack (Distributerless Ignition w/3 individual coils each one fires twice). Totaly saw that the wires were damaged and arcing, but that didn't stop me from reaching in and grabbing the pile of stuff
    - ZAP! ZAP! ZAP! -
    Man those D/Is have one mighty kick to 'em. I froze and was stuck there getting zaped for a seccond or two. Mean little buggers.

The pile of "stuff" was a mouse that was chewing on the plug-wires and building a nest.

14. lifted95z71

lifted95z71 1/2 ton status

working on my jeep i managed to break the windshield not 5 minutes after i put it in.

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think my all time dumb was when I swapped a new cam into my 355. I did a rear main seal, new clutch etc at the same time and i used the one piece oil pan gasket. I finally got her all buttoned up and was ready to break in the new cam...2000 rpm for 20 minutes or so. I fire it up and hear this gawd-awful knock...which really freaked me out, so I shut it off. I thought I had done some damage to the motor when it backfired due to the dist being out 180 degrees. As you can tell not much was going right at this point. I was stumped until I walked away from it for a while and finally figured out the inspection cover was not installed properly and the back of the crank was hitting the tab every time it came around.

So finally i'm ready to break in the cam and I fire it up again...5 minutes into it I smell oil and my wife comes out and deadpanned "There's something leaking..." I shut it down before the break-in is done and find out I had started all the oil pan bolts but never got around to actually tightening them up./forums/images/icons/shocked.gif What a freaking mess!!!

Rene

16. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

It wasn't me but I was at a friends working on his sand rail. We just started the rail and his sister came out in one of those loose, thin shirts. She got to close and low and behold it came off when it got caught in the belt. She was bitching about the Sandrail being in the way of her leaving. What nice headlights. She remembers it everytime she sees me. At least once a year I know she turns red!

17. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Here's one that comes to mind. I was doing some carb adjusting and thought I had it all worked out. Put the hood down and got in it to drive it down the street. When I got back, i wanted to do a little more so I popped the hood and climbed back in, sitting on the radiator support. Started smelling something pungent and it was another 30 seconds or so before I identified it. My brand new Justin workboot was on the manifold and I'd just melted a nice chunk out of it. D'oh!!!

I'm sure there's plenty more but that one was definately stupid.

18. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Didn't put jack stands underneath it while working on it.
    Nuf said.

19. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

About 6 months after I got my blazer I was changing the steering box and I put 2 bolts in from the inner frame side and at theat moment my wife pulls into the drive with me laying on my back doing this and at the time resting my arms on the floor (dam those boxes are heavy while holding it with one hand and turning the dam bolt with the other) and low and behold I happen to look up and the box falls down and glances's off the spring,with me saying a few choice words that thank goodness my 3 year old hasn't repeated yet. and I "roll" to the side and it hits me in the side of the ribs ...FAWKER HURT...mike

20. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

OK...roll call time, how many of you out there have dropped a starter on yourself at least once? I dropped one on my forehead and have had a few near misses since then.../forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Rene