Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sub axle swap / antilock question?

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by hidesertwheelin, Feb 20, 2005.

1. hidesertwheelin

hidesertwheelin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am looking at buying a 1990 V1500 Suburban. I would like to swap in a 14BFF in to the rear. I read that in 1990 all suburbans came standard with rear antilocks (worked in 2wd only). How does this affect this axle swap? has anyone ever had any problems? Thanks.

2. Nicks 72

Nicks 72 Registered Member

The antilock brake system on these trucks and many years after worked off of the speed sensor(vss) on the rear output of the transmission(2wd) or transfercase(4wd).There are no other output sensor(s) on the rear axle itself. This holds true on the current models(04) as well.The 4wheel antilock brake system in also uses the VSS for the rear wheel antilock signal but in addition it also has a sensor on each front hub as well. To answer your question you can put any axle you like and it wont effect the antilocks per say except that for the system to work properly it is generally recomended that the final ratio be kept within a 10 percent variance of original, so gear ratio changes and large tire size differences require recalibration. You would need to play with the proportioning from front to rear because the 14bff has 13 inch brake drums and the 10 bolt has 10 to 11 inch drums.

3. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

did that swap on my 91 R1500 about 2 1/2 yrs ago. Nicks 72 nailed it on the sensor. NOTHING on the axles to interfere.
    I never adjusted proportioning at all, but i also swapped to the 3/4 ton brakes when i swapped front axles. No problems noted.