Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sub box idea

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Bullet, May 24, 2003.

1. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

I miss having my system in my Jimmy. I ran the side panel version of mounting my sub and speakers; but I have a new idea on a box and how to mount it.

[​IMG]

The box would hold 2x10" Rockford Subs, 2x(6x9) Alpine and 2x6" Alpines. Inside the box would be the amp(s) powering the unit. To keep the box secure would be the bolts that hold down the rear seat. Then the box would be sealed and covered, maybe with Rhino Lining.

I want y'alls opinions. This was just an idea, so your not going to hurt my feelings if you kill the idea or give sugestions...or is this even possible?

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. blazerboy72

blazerboy72 1/2 ton status

wouldnt the amps get tooo hot inside the box? I have heard that it gets pretty hot inside boxes with out the amps. I dont know but it seems like they would to me.

3. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

are you gonna have other speakers elsewhere in the truck?

is it all just one big opening inside the box? don't you need specific enclosure for each size speaker for optimal sound?

just a thought...i really don't know

the main problem i see is the loss of space...i plan to put my subs in the sides.

4. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

All-in-all, the box wouldn't take up anymore room than the rear seat. Last time I had the subs in the Jimmy, they were in a side panel design. THe main draw back of the design was that when you took the top off, it sounded like they weren't even there. At least with the box as close as it is it will be a little better and maybe a little more difficult to steal.

5. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am going to have a Bandpass made for my Blazer I belive that it will help the problem a little.

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

A couple of observations:

"Box 'O Speakers" - Putting every speaker for the system in a single box is not going to be the best sounding solution. It would be nice to get the mids and highs lined up and aiming as directly at your ears as possible.

Box design - As was mentioned, the box you drew would have to be compartmentalized to keep the bass drivers from blowing out the smaller cones of the 6x9's and coax's...the pressure inside the box (is it sealed or ported?) will be significant.

Amps in Box - Might work OK if the box is a ported design...you could even mount the amp near the port so that the air would move over it and hopefully allow the hot air to escape. In a sealed box, I'd guess your asking for trouble (heat). Vibration may also become an issue for the amp regardless of box design.

Output - If you want MORE bass....consider using a ported box over a sealed one. I'm not a big fan of bandpass boxes, but you can't argue with their efficiency and output levels with modest amps and drivers. I think you're going to be surprised and disappointed to find that putting the box behind the seats won't make much difference in output volume once you pull the top off. Trying to create "sound pressure" in an open top vehicle is nearly impossible. The solutions that seem to work best are LOTS of subs, LOTS of power....

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I much reather have the side-panel subs. I really like Greg72's set up, that is awsome !!!! Love the way he has the subs fireing at the front. Now add a couple more boxs mounted on top the sub boxs for mids and tweets aimed propperly, and booya !!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. GORRILLA

GORRILLA 1/2 ton status

Sorry Bullet, I have to much taken by the lazy, It's sounds cool, but I would say to easy to steal. Think about it, if a dickhead only has to cut a few wires and rip a box out? I suggest build it so it's a bitch to steal. I mean at least 15 minutes to get at it. Route your wires in 1/2 emt, hidden under side. IF possible, make sure that when they do try It destroys what their after. If insurance allows.
    Who cares what Brittney spears thinks, what matters is when the lights are off!
    My 02.
    Gorrilla /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

9. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Good points, y'all are right...Hey Greg, wanna desing some side panels like yours for a '90 Jimmy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

BTW, Britney is gorgeous, I'll give her that, I got a poster of her on my wall, it just that she's dumber than a sack of bricks. But hey, who's complaining? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

how about a new center console with the subs inside? been done plenty of times and gives it a stealth appearance.

11. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Can't...I have a tuffy center console, I'd rather run without subs than that console. Its awesome.

12. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

what size sub would fit in the console? do you face the sub up or down. does it matter? bandpass would be the safest for the speaker i suppose.