Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sub box stolen. :-(

Discussion in 'Audio' started by jekbrown, Dec 30, 2002.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

well by 2 12" mtx subs and amp went POOF not long ago. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif anyway, I am pondering making a new one with a more beefy amp but maybe just one 12" sub. At any rate, any way I could make a sub box that was steel? Im tired of worrying about pos theives. Im thinking .25" steel, welded together, all interior conections soldered, and then bolt the thing to the body and spot weld the heads of the large screws that hold it down so they couldnt be turned without grinding etc etc. anyone using some sort of metal for an enclosure and if so, impressions? damn theives!!! oughta chop both their hands off if u ask me!

j

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Have you consittered making the boxs that are also the rear side panels ??? Most thieves look for big boxs in the back, if they don't see them, they usely move on to another vichile.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm doing a metal sub box next in mine. I'm building it into the floor in the rear of the truck between the framerails.....completely hidden and impossible to steal!

I think .25" steel is overkill (and overweight!) .125" is probably fine, and you could brace it heavily with more steel and dynamat the hell out of the inside to keep it from sounding "metallic".

4. jekbrown

good idea on building it into the floor back there... there is plenty of room to work with, thats for sure! Hmmm... have to think about that one... thanks for the idea!

j

5. jekbrown

Im not really interested in the side panel box... I already have custom side panels, and I'd have to make new ones etc... just a pita for me at this point. If they were steel it would work I guess...but again I'd rather just have a standard type box.

j

6. Greg72

Yep. You'll be amazed how many cubic feet of space are availavble there when you start measuring!!!

I think I found 3.5 cuft without even trying hard... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

You could always build a fake floor. One thats just high enough to clear the magnents but has the exact same contours of the cargo area in the back of the blazer. Heck, you could even get real creative and maybe go a couple inches taller and build a 6th order bandpass. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

What about a regular box (MDF) and then fabricate a brace/cage that would hold it to the floor. Make it a down fire box and leave enough space up from the floor to mount your amp on the bottom of the box. Tac weld it down and they would have to have a cutting torch to get your box and amp. That way they could not steal it and you would not have to battle the tin sound. Just a thought.

9. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

only problem i see with building a cage around the amp/sub setup would be if you have to do a little troubleshooting or wanting to adjust something... it would make it extremely difficult for you to do anything with the cage there unless you cut it out..

Now just a hair brain idea... the cage idea might work.. if you made a amp rack that would slide out.. basically make the cage with an opening in it.. kinda like a desk drawer type of idea... you would have to add fans for cooling and i would suggest you put a really good lock on it also.. but it would work for what your thinking... or make the steal box.. deaden the daylights out of it..and then use the drawer idea... just something to think about..

10. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

11. Greg72

How do you get to the tailgate latch with that setup? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

12. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    see more here

[/ QUOTE ]

Its has a flip up deck that locks, let you get to the tailgate release and the tool boxes, see the link above for more pics. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]

13. Marshall

Marshall 1/2 ton status

if you had your seat down then could you easily take the sub boxes out if you had your top off? im confused other than that it looks pretty damn theft proof

14. Crunk_K5_1984

Crunk_K5_1984 Registered Member

Couln't you make a steel cage to surround the reg. sup boxes and amp? You could even make a locking door so you could get to the amp/subs. I will post pics as soon as I finish my project. It'll be about a month.....

15. Marshall

Marshall 1/2 ton status

my vehicle was broken into today...my subs, bandpass box and my amplifier and CD deck were all stolen today and not to mention a power invertor,mag-lite, and police scanner. They also busted my freekkin window /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

16. ChrisM72beast

ChrisM72beast 1/2 ton status

Today I lost both amps, speakers and sub and my head unit. Bad day to say the least. All those who have been ripped off, I feel your pain. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif