Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sub box with convertible???

Discussion in 'Audio' started by yellowk5, Sep 12, 2002.

1. yellowk5

yellowk5 Registered Member

ihave an 89 with a soft top. i have one 12 inch kicker and an 800 watt amp. What box will produce the loudest/nicest bass with a soft top/top down??? also does the pstioning matter if the top is off??? thanx fellas

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

With a soft-top, I would fire them at the tail gate. You need a hard surface for the (signal, note, or what ever it's called) to bounce off, or so I've been told. Try verious postioning to see what sounds the best to you. I would say as long as it sounds good to you, the rest doesn't matter.

3. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Z3 is correct 99% of the time the relex coming from the rear is going to improve db by about 3db.

4. TIGHTWORK82 K5

TIGHTWORK82 K5 1/2 ton status

make it a sealed box, I dont think a ported application will work without the top on. nothing fancy just a 2 ft sq box maybe 2.5 tops /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Air space for each sub depends on the subs themselves. Some subs require more air space then others do. I plan on useing 15" MMATS Juggernauts. Each one of those require a min. of 4.5 cubic feet in a sealed box. But I'm goinng with 5.0 cubic feet per sub for best sound quality. Other subs can use smaller cubic feet. Go by what the manufatures recomend.

6. TIGHTWORK82 K5

TIGHTWORK82 K5 1/2 ton status

here here!

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Huh?....... /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

Sealed vs. Ported is a discussion all by itself, but there is no reason to select a sealed enclosure for a convertible over a ported one.

In fact, a ported enclosure will typically outperform a sealed one by about +3dB in terms of absolute output level. In a convertible, that is welcome news! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I currently run two 1.0 cu/ft ported boxes in my convertible K5, with a 10" sub in each. They are PLENTY loud with the top off, and REDICULOUSLY loud with the top on. During the winter months, I typically turn down the "input sensitivity" on the subwoofer amp so they don't play as loud. Even with a "Sub-Bass Controller" on the dash, it's just TOO much bass.

Sorry I don't have pics of the whole stereo in the Gallery anymore. It would probably help you to see how the boxes were hidden in the side panels, and how I stuffed all those amps and speakers into every available nook and cranny!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Greg72 has the same feeling as I do, sealed and ported are just two choices. Each has a + and a -. The manufacture give recommendations, but you have the last word. Due to the fact that it's yours....A friend of mine had a jeep with 4-12's that was ported between the seats and on the subs were facing the side fo the jeep and firing into box that was open by the front doors. It was load. Nice deep bass that hit hard.

9. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

you might think about doing a Slot Load box. It is like a Band_pass box, but for more area. I was thinking about doing this. I would have a harder time till you about this then some of there other guy would.