Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sub leaning

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fireinthehole, Dec 28, 2002.

I noticed that my Sub is leaning a little to the left rear side. Not alot, but enough that I noticed. The lift was just installed last March, all parts were new, rough country springs all the way around, and new shocks too. I replaced all the body bushings last Dec with poly ones.
    Any ideas? I'm thinking either a bad shock or spring.

Mat

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Check for a cracked or over-settled spring on that side... the shock shouldn't make it lean... just bouncy on that side! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Good luck finding the fix!

-Dan

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

my stock rear springs are making my suburban lean to the drivers side too. i don't know what it is. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Glad to know I am not the only left-lean Suburban!

I haven't really delved into it yet, but first up are new eye bushings and shackles. It needs these things anyway. Body mounts are good, thankfully...

I did notice something strange on my truck...the left rear tire leans in at the top slightly and is not totally perpendicular to the ground, while the right side is. I haven't jacked it up yet to see if the bearings are smoked. What a fun job that will be if they are...

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You can (if you want to have fun) swap springs from side to side, and see if the problem changes sides. I did that, and figured out it was the opposite front spring that was really causing the problem with my trucks lean.

No way on the shocks, they don't support the weight of the vehicle, thats all spring.

5. I called rough country today, and they told me to swap springs to make sure. I really dont want to do it, but I guess I have to if I want them replaced. What about the rear shackles, could they cause it to lean. My fronts are ORD, so I know those are ok.

6. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I know that when I was at a spring shop, the owner was telling me that on tow trucks they will make the springs slightly stiffer on the left side, because of the driver. I wasn't really listening to him because I was trying to read what miss november liked to do in her spare time. I dunno why he said tow trucks specifically, but I am not calling you fat either.

7. I'm not fat, just big boned! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif No, really I have no idea why its leaning. I'm sure its the spring(s), but i'm not swapping them out to see. Its to cold and nasty and I have to work outside.

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

This is a classic desease with leaf spring suspensions.
    I have yet to see a truck that has had the springs for more than 6 years without that symptom.
    I guess it's a combination of driver weight (any weight, as opposed to no driver), engine torque, and steering arm location.
    All contribute to more pressure on that side so it gets worked harder and settles faster. All springs settle after a while, and the more you work them the faster they sag.
    I would rotate them just like I do my tires. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif