Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sub or blazer gas tank in a pickup

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Dec 26, 2001.

ok, wierd question but follow along with me. my 76 pickup has only one tank on the pass. side and runs dry fast. i thought instead of doing another sadle tank on the other side i would use a blazer or sub tank in back and be able to have both fill spouts on the same side. well? sound duable? mounting it seems to be the only obstical. the rest could be plumbed useing regular chevy dual tank parts.

<font color=blue> Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

</font color=blue>

1. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

the filler neck cover that goes inside the blazer fits the pickup box perfect
    I havent tried the frame mounts yet
    you could cut the filler section from a blazer and graft it to the bed side

2. not too worried on looks. have you seen those chrome looking aftermarket ones? i've seen them on 67-72 trucks that have added tanks to replace the one behind the seat. i don't know where to find them though.

<font color=blue> Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

</font color=blue>

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

4. yes, exactly what i was thinking! just trying to figure out how to get the straps to work. might have to fab something there.

</font color=blue>

5. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

any idea if the frame crossmembers swap onto the pickup frame?

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

you could use plumbers tape[​IMG] take like 4 or 5 strands and bolt them to the bed then rais the tank up and bolt the other end to the bed[​IMG] do this on both sides and you should be fine

wheeling videoshttp://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333

7. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

I dont know about the plumbers tape thing kinda hokieI would look into fabbing up a steel craddle to bolt the tank to the frame may cost a little and take awhilebut youd be better off in the long run?

1982 K10 Silverado. [​IMG] 327 SHPE powerplant SM465/205,15"custom lift 38.5"TSL/SWAMPERS 12boltrearD44 front,3.73 gears.

8. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

not too worried on looks. have you seen those chrome looking aftermarket ones?

<hr></blockquote>

Please, PLEASE don't do a chrome one!!!!!!!! I can't stand those!!!!!
    There is like an oversized 50 gallon tank you can get for a ford truck that mounds underneath the rear of the bed. Maybe you can get that and have a huge tank in the rear. If you're gonna go thru the trouble, might as well have an awsome capasity! If you wheel, make sure you build a skid plate for it.

<font color=blue>What part of my brilliance do you not understand?</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

9. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

I added a 31 gal to my 72 blazer. you can probably use the same mounting set up that I used. check out my tank pictures in the member rides. I also have a 21 gal from my 71 in the forsale section.

ARQ.
    My Pics