Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sub placement

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Big Red, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

does anyone remember seeing a picture of a white blazer with a sub on each side behind the front seats? i believe they were angled a bit towards the center of the truck and covered in black carpet. i really wanna make a set of those for my blazer (i can tell they would sound great) anyone who has a link to those pics please post them. thanx. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Was it this guy....???

[​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

SWEET!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif yeah, thats him. i'd like to contact him so he can tell me what materials worked best and whats the largest sub size u can use. hes even got the rollbar in basically the same place i wanna put mine to. thanks greg a lot! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

Greg and that guy are the same person. He probably has more pictures at his gallery. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

o lol. i didn't even think of that. thanx. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

those should work in a second gen too right? i mean, they didn't change the rear of the trucks all that much did they? if so, could u tell me the specs on it? i really wanna make a set of those.i got two sony P5 12" subs i wanna put to good use. thanx. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Greg72

Well since my secret identity has been revealed, I might as well answer your follow-up questions: /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

1st Gen and 2nd Gen are NOT the same, the wheelwell contours are substantially different, so the boxes I built would not fit into the later model K5's (I tried!)

Also, the overall shape is determined by how many cubic feet of space you need for your driver. In my case, I needed to achieve a "net" volume of 1.0 cubic feet for the JL Audio 10W3. "Net" is the volume left after subtracting the driver displacement, port displacement, and thickness of box materials and bracing. I built the box to extend over the tops of the wheelwells because that was the only way to get to my net volume without encroaching on the interior space any further. I still wanted complete functionality of the rear seat, and allow easy, unobstructed access to the seat from the flip-forward front seat.

Those boxes met my objectives. Trying to fit 12's will be tough....that's what I had originally hoped to squeeze in there, but I couldn't get the space I wanted. The magnet depth becomes an issue on angled boxes as well.....

Lots to think about.... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

8. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

darn chevrolet. why couldn't they keep things simple? lol. ok, so i hafto take lotsa measurements, hope i can squeeze a twelve in there. the p5's are only 6-5/16 deep when u top mount them. so, somehow i gotta find at least 7" of room in there. i think i can manage it. i dunno. I'll let ya know. o, about the net volume. how would i go about calculating how much space the driver takes up? cus its not a perfect cone. (i know, i should know my geometry, but that was 3 years ago when i took it last, lol)Plus, im not going to use ports unless i absolutely hafto. One last question. In my back seat, the armrests look like they absolutely hafto be there in order for the seat to stay together. am i misinterpreting things? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. Greg72

Driver displacement is usually provided by the speaker manufacturer....since the rear of the speaker is odd-shaped, you'd have a hard time figuring out it's displacement anyway.

Surface mount is OK, but then you've lost the ability to hide the drivers and make a "stealth" install. You could build a raised and carpeted grille of some sort, but once you account for the maximum cone excursion, it's probably going to be at least 1" tall...maybe more.

No free lunches...designing a 12" sub into the side panels will be some serious head-scratching! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    (i can tell they would sound great)

[/ QUOTE ]
    I heard Greg's system at Blazer Bash in Moab last summer, and I am still in awe... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif VERY clean, balanced sound! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

i know how properly tuned sub boxes sound, i live and hang with a bunch of audiophiles with hondas and other assorted rice burners. lol. i just can't wait till my new amp arrives. its the 200Wx2 Sony P5. gonna be sweet cus im gonna run the subs in parallel if i can and get the 400W out of it. but hey, 200Wx2 will still sound nice. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

12. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

sweetness! i totally manage to fit it in! well..theoretically. lol. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif im hoping that my rollcage i wanna bend won't interfere. worse comes to worse, i bend the bar forward more and slghtly closer to the seats instead. i only have 1/4" of clearance on teh backside of the sub! lol, i better not get things wet either. lol. o well, i'll try to get a pic of it as soon as i can. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif