Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sub positioning

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Oblin Goblin, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

How important is the position of a subwoofer for sound quality? I know bass travels pretty well though a car so would it make much of a difference mounting the sub in the very back of a blazer in/next to the side panel as opposed to mounting it up closer to the driver, in the center console for example? Also how important is symmetry when mounting a sub? Would having one in each side panel sound better than one big one on one side?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've found that putting your sub(s) in the rear sounds best for me. I like to run high power systems myself. The subs I run require more air space then up front would premitt. I personally like to fire my subs upward (facing the roof). I will be building one big box taking up all the space behind the rear seat to the tailgate, and from side to side, from floor to even with top of rear seat. Rear seat will be raised 4 inchs, amp rack under rear seat. Completely dynomating inside, and new carpet. Replacing side panels, and insulating /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Well, thats the plans, now I just need the funds. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Unless you want to get into imaging the direction is not of major importance. But you should have the sub firing toward a hard surface and reflecting before it reaches the driver.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

These guys basically nailed it.....the wavelengths of bass notes are WAY longer than the dimensions inside your vehicle. The concerns about "standing waves" or "modal cancellations" that the home audio/home theater guys worry about, don't apply here.

Build 'em where they fit, and make the box STRONG and airtight (unless it's a ported design of course! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif )

The final bits will be messing around with crossover points and slopes, and trying to blend it seamlessly with the rest of the speakers in the system.