Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sub Question

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Cusm, Jul 20, 2001.

1. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

I am going to be redoing my side panels and incorporating the sub in them like several other members have done. My question is, would an 8" Sub be too small for our rigs? I do not listen to rap so I do not need *BOOM*BOOM*, not to mention the attention of thieves. I have heard that the 10 will really hit and was just wondering if the 8 would be enough for me.
    Thanks, Brian

Good lord. The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up it's butt.

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I can tell you from my own recent experiences, that it would be a LOT easier to figure out how much space you are willing to give up (how much box volume you can actually get!) and then pick the speaker that most easily fits that specification.

I started out wanting (2) 12" subs, but the internal volume only ended up being 1.0 cu ft.....BTW -> the exterior measurements of the box were 1.25 cu ft....so be sure you know what's really available for the speaker to use!! [​IMG]

If you want to avoid a "boomy" sound, you will need to be careful not to "over-speaker" the cabinet. From what I've seen....if a speaker doesn't have adequate airspace behind it....it tends to exaggerate the 60Hz - 80Hz region (The BOOM zone!) it is too confined to really move and get to the lower octaves.

If you can give us a spec on the internal volume of your cabinets, I am sure we can all suggest a sub that would be a good match.

Good Luck,

-Greg72

3. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

Actually the panels I am going to make will be flush and look just like the stock panels. I am using the same procedure as BlazzinOR and Derf00, so space wise I will have the whole side of the truck. I was just wondering if one 8" sub in combo with 6-1/2 2ways and 5-1/2 components would sound good/loud enough, or if I need to stick to a single 10".
    Greg Thanks, Brian

Good lord. The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up it's butt.

4. Greg72

In that case, I think that mounting depth will be a limiting factor... I don't know about the 80's K5s, but in my '72 there's only about 5 inches of mounting depth behind those side panels.....if there's even THAT much.

Once you get a measurement of that depth, there probably won't be too many choices left for subs, so that should make it easier to choose. However, I would recommend that you still build a complete enclosure for the sub.....don't rely on the side panel and the space behind it, to make a good sounding box. There will be too much vibration and movement and the speaker will not sound it's best. I'm not saying that you can't hide it with the trim panels....just that you should get a "real" box built into those side compartments first.

BTW -> (2) 8's have more surface area than (1) 10".....I would go for as much as you can reasonably get, since these trucks are fairly noisy....it would be nice to have some "reserve" available for the low bass, instead of having to push it to the MAX to get the volume you wanted. [​IMG]

-Greg72

5. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Greg72,

I make no claims about knowing anything about audio systems, but let me tell you what we did to our '90 Jimmy. I purchased the equipment from fellow board member DBLAZER and installed the following: 1 - 10" RF Punch sub, 2-6x9's and 2- 3.5 in the dash. The 10" is built into the side panel on the driver's side. The 6x9's are installed aproximately where the ash trays were. There is 3.5" from the back of the side panel to the fenderwell. The side panels are made out of .75 MDF. The enclosure for the sub was also built out of the .75 MDF and I used the fenderwell as the back of the enclosure which was covered with dynamat.

I am sure that a perfectly constructed box might sound better, but I did not want to give up any floor space to speaker enclosures. Besides, when you are running M/T's, Flowmaster, etc., you can't hear sh!t anyway. To answer the original question, I think a 8 or 10 will serve your needs.

Derf00

"Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck in a more inaccessible place."

6. Greg72

Derf00,

That sounds like a reasonable way to do it....The side panels in my '72 are only about 1/4" thick, which would be unacceptable for a subwoofer enclosure. Since you used the 3/4" MDF, your cabinet should be pretty solid....the only concern would be the outer fender panel and dynamat. If you can't hear or feel it vibrating from the outside of the truck, it's probably "deadened" enough.

As always, the "BEST" solution is the one that satisfies YOUR needs. If it sounds great to you, and doesn't steal any space from the interior, then you've got what's right for you. My own box design is based on the criteria and tradeoffs that "I" was willing to make. Others may like it....or they may not.

Enjoy the music! [​IMG]

-Greg72

7. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

well, owning a suburban, I have more space to donate to my project, without getting into the `no space for anything' trouble. for this reason, I plan to have my truck basicaly way over systemed. 4 MTX 12 inch subs, in properly spec'ed ported enclosues, either against the rear seat, or against the tailgate, ( or perhaps snugly fitted over the wheel wells, ) 4 6x9's, hanging from the ceiling, along the sides and back, or in a `center console' thing, and some 4-6 inch speakers in the doors (all 4 of them). might even try and cut holes in the dash to mount some up there, but I'm pretty sure my truck has only the 1 4x10 hole that came in the mid-late 70's with the `killer AM radio'

good luck with it tho,

-Rich

ph34r m3!

1337 TruXoR