Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sub rides like &^%$#^%$

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SUBFAN, May 23, 2003.

1. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

4" Tough Country 'EZ' Ride lift, now on it's second month after install. I used F and R (56") springs and the Nitrogen SX 8000 shocks. I replaced the rear springs instead of shackle flip because the bushings were really shot, and it was showing that sag really bad. All bushings are new. I have rechecked the bolts several times, all is good.

The front seems fine, but the rear feels like it is just mounted SOLID to the frame. It also kind of feels wobbly on it's new legs.

Some of the things I am thinking of....
    Building spacers and hooking the sway bar back up....
    Looking into different rear shocks....
    Getting pro/con of putting stock rear springs back in and shackle flip....
    Making sure there isn't to much air in the tires....
    Finally getting off my but and replacing those U/L ball joints....

Any other suggestions? I don't expect a Cadillac ride, but I spent the extra money on these hoping I would be satisfied....

So far the front springs have a clamp that won't stay put, and one of the little pads is already missing. And the two eren't even related! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Looking into different rear shocks....

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo. Your shocks were probably valved for a Peterbuilt /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Look into some Rancho 9000s /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

like bubba said, shocks. but i say spend the cash and get the new 9 way adjustable shcoks. wel adjustable in any way. they are NICE.
    Grant

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

If I disconnect the shocks, will this give me a true indication on whether or not a softer shock will work?

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> This is the first time I've ever heard anyone complain of the TC springs riding rough... As much as I hate to suggest throwing money at it, a set of greasable bushings would probably make a pretty big difference. Did you at least grease the bushings up real good when you assembled the springs? If that doesn't work you could try removing the shortest leaf from each pack, you'll lose some lift but it will soften the ride. Putting the swaybar on will help with the lean in the corners, but it will make the ride a bit stiffer unless you use disconnects such as ORDs. </font>

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You say that you "checked the bolts". Did you check to make sure that they aren't too tight? If you snug the bolts down too tight it will bind up the suspension, making it much harder for the springs to extend and retract. That will really make it ride like crap.

7. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I will check the articulation tomorrow. When I did the install, I had to use a blue tip wrench on all the bolts, cutting the ends off and prying the hanger apart so the rest would fall out.

Maybe in trying to 'make them straight again' some binding is occuring.

Shaggy, yes I greased them good, as I thought I would go with greasable bushings in the future. Should of done it then, as that spare tire well makes for a tight fit on the drivers side /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Thanks for a couple more ideas....