Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sub steering Q

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 78 k5, Jul 6, 2005.

1. 78 k5

78 k5 1/2 ton status

I swapped my 10bolt from my 78K5 into my 90Sub and immediately had no steering to the left (both are front to back steering). I'm pretty sure the steering arms on both axles were raised skyjackers. Its not bump steer either......The steering box is maxed out when trying to turn left before the knuckle ever moves........It looks like I could shorten up the drag link and fix the problem. Anyone ever done this/or have any other ideas?

BTW= I know this is a bandaid on a broken leg but I'm not wasting money on cross-over for a 10bolt so don't suggest it :D :D

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Are you sure that the sector shaft is in the middle of the lock to lock rotation?

3. 78 k5

78 k5 1/2 ton status

No....Please explain what you are talking about and I'll tell you :D :confused:

4. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Disconnect the drag link, and turn the steering wheel all the way to one side. Then, counting the number of turns, steer all the way to the opposite side. Lets say you have 4 turns total. Turn the wheel back half the amount of turns, in this case 2, and this will center your steering. Then go outside the truck and see if the pitman arm is pointing straight out to the side. If it is more to the front or back, then the pitman arm is on incorrect. If it is pointing straight out, then support the front axle with the wheels off the ground and steer the wheels as straight as possible, and adjust your drag link to meet the pitman arm. This is just a temporary adjustment to do to drive the truck, and a proper alignment should be performed to adjust the toe and center the wheel properly. Most places are only about $40 since there are no caster or camber adjustments on these trucks.