Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sub.... This really sucks...

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Prembird, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

Well all.. Its been awhile since i have been around and i know some of the stereo gurus will remember me... Here is my problem...

My sub decided it didnt want to play ball anymore.. I have JL audio 12w3d2 wired into one ohm... to make this really short.. One of the leads on voice coil one decided it didnt want to be attached to the post anymore.. After closer inspection i realized that the lead wasnt the proper length and when it flexed it stretched the lead till finally it broke...
    Now on to voice coil two... If you move one of the leads going into the voice coil the sub will kick back on but after a couple notes it shuts back off.. I.E. break somewhere inside the voice coil is the only thing i can think of... And of course.. Since i got this sub from a friend of mine that bought it i cant get it under a manufacturer defect for the first voice coil...

Now this is where i need help.. Im tired of the normal subs that everyone is using.. Since im gonna have to replace this sub i dont want to go with something everyone else has.. I.E. NO JL, No Fosgate,NO KICKER, etc...

I was thinking of something along the lines of a eclipse sub since i dont see very many of them.. Only problem is that i have never heard them and am not sure where to get them locally.. Im looking for just about anything.. Perferably staying around 300-350.. Now this price can go for a single sub or multipule subs.. and if i need to build a new box.. well that aint the problem..

Give me some ideas as to what I should do..

Oh yea.. the sub will be getting about 300 watts or so... also i want something that hits as hard and tight as the sub i have now...

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Check out Brahma, Ive seen them mentioned a few times and i geuss they work just fawkin awesome. I might get a set if and when I get new subs.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

4. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

those are all good but i'd go with the Digital Designs i bet even the 10 will handle enough power for you, i have 2 15's with 1400rms watts on each and i can't sit in my truck with it up loud.. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Prem,

I have a set of PPI Pro-10's in another vehicle of mine.....they're those flat cone ones. It's been a few years since that installation, so I don't even know if that speaker exists anymore......but it was a definitely unique, and sounds really nice.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

DD's are nice. I've heard them befor, they hit hard.

7. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

DD or Crossfire is the ONLY way to go. Crossfire would save you some big bucks though.

8. blazerman78

blazerman78 Registered Member

Theyre probably not the best brand, but I recently picked up a Bazooka RSW 1224 DVC for $20 on ebay. It is 500W RMS (250 per voice coil). I don't really know how it sounds though because i don't have enough money for an amp /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. i tried it on my friends amp but he doesn't have enough power (115x1 lol) If anyone knows anything about these subs, let me know. I'll let you know how it sounds once i build a box and get an amp, which should be fairly soon.
    Anyways, if youre looking for a sub, check out ebay. You can get some good deals there, if you're careful.

9. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Brahma Info I was reading that page and the Brahma's have 2"'s of XMAX. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

well my quest is over.. i found one that i really like and just couldnt pass up...
    [​IMG]
    Its the 88120dvc eclipse sub... cant really complain at all about it since it retails at over 400 bucks... and i was able to buy it brand new, never used, with full warrenty, from an autherized dealer for 188... Just happens to be that the owner of the shop has decided he is limiting his selection of eclipse stuff due to the hassles of dealing with them for warrenty.. mainly having to sit on hold for over an hour anytime something comes up.. he said he has to much to do to sit and wait.. So he told me he would sell it to me at his cost... give me full warrenty, etc... so i couldnt pass up the deal... Thanks all for the suggestions.. i will post pics of the sub after i get some.. This thing is a beast...