Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sub trailer!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by coopertwpk, Mar 3, 2001.

1. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

Well ive decided what to do to the left over sub parts on the k20 sub I bought its gonna be a trailer lifted 4"with 35's to match my blazer cutting it from the passenger doors back ,hows that sound ?it will have the right side door welded but leave the windows ,keep the 27 gal gas tank ill use spacers to keep everything 8 lug(its getting my old 10 bolt.Now ill have somewhere to sleep when my wife gets pOd

88k5 silverado w4"lift soon to have <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

That would be cool. If you weld a tailgate from another K5 or 'burb and fab a window frame. You can make a sleeper camper for yourself with flow thru ventilation!!!

[​IMG]

3. coopertwpk

Im actually going to try to use the windshield and frame it in its worth a shot but since im leaving the door windows i think that wil help also where the tire goes im going to mount a battery and wire it in like a reguler trailer to charge while towing my wife sai some thing about a 12v Tv and fridge also im thinking on the lines of a water tank .this is going to be designed for off road use and camping overnight .

88k5 silverado w4"lift soon to have <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Better start shopping for that 454 to install in the tow vehicle! [​IMG] This came up a while back and the concensus was that doing this to a Sub would result in a trailer that weighs around 4,000 lbs, empty. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

5. coopertwpk

I towed the sub with it complete on a trailer with my blazer (not to smart ) but it did tow it the motor transfer and trans weight in over 1200 and the front axle adds allot im just keeping the rear doors back with a 10 bolt rear I figure it will weigh at least 2500lbs a good flat bed weighs 1800lbs unloaded and you cant sleep in it but a complete sub only weighed 5610 so it wont be near that 4000lbs mark no seats or much else for that matter but it can haul almost 27 gallons of fuel and anything else.if all lese fails it will have a flat front with a tilt up awning like a trailer front window.

88k5 silverado w4"lift soon to have <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by coopertwpk on 03/03/01 08:34 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

6. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

My only concern would be the rounder shape and negotiating the cruve. I am sure that it will work out some way. I figure if you find a way to cut and splice the front end( firewall to front of the doors)you can work it out easier. I think it will look like you are towing a K5 behind you after your done. heheheheh.

[​IMG]

7. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Thats a cool idea. I've been kicking around the idea of finding a 80's model chevy and cutting it in half and lifting it the same height as my K5 and painting it the same color, blah blah blah and geting a Snug top for it to keep it enclosed. Also thought about mounting a tool box onto the front of it.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red> it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>[​IMG]

8. rezalb

rezalb 1/2 ton status

I purchased a doner Sub with the front clip trashed. I used the 454 and axles, as it was sitting there with the front clip off I thought the same dog gone thing...You can search my post dated 11/26/00 to see what others thought.....I may still do something with it, but I have a 25' travel trailer for the two boys and wife to stay in....PLEASE, PLEASE,PLEASE keep me in mind when you finish, I want to know......with pictures.
    Thanks-

Built for a purpose.