Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Subfloor (?) under 75 K5 body

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by odoa3, Jun 27, 2006.

1. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Don't really know how to describe this but here goes. I was looking under the body trying to figure out what to do for rocksliders. I noticed what looks to be a subfloor under the footwells and front seat's back to where the floor steps up to the rear seats. Can this be removed? It will be tough to really tuck the sliders up with it in the way. Hopefully someone out there knows what I am talking about. :confused:

2. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

its the same on the 73 thru 75's, my 73 blazer has it too and yes I wan to cut it out or atleast through it. but I have also thought it might make for some storage too. not sure what I want to do yet.

3. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

that "sub Floor" is structural, later models with a roof over the front 76-up dont need it so it was left off later models. if you cut it out you'll weaken the body. IF you have a full cage or put in real stout rocksliders that add teh strength back in then sure cut them out. IF i was you, and i'm thinking about it on mine. I'd cut out the rockers and cut back the boxes far enough to fit the normal 2x3 or 3x3 square tube slider into the body. Do a search for sliders and you'll see what i mean.

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

"Rockerboxes" aka "rust-suckers" grrr. They collect rocks and debris and dirt and trap water and are generally nasty.

I cut mine off and put in 2x3 sliders doorsills.

-- A

5. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Hmmm, guess I could add in extra cross pieces to strengthen the body - ladder like between the body and frame? Have to weld the rock sliders to the body I guess, but then wouldn't I be limiting flex with the body tied to the frame?

6. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

tons of conversation on the matter..

but leave the body seperate from the frame,

do you at least have a roll bar? if so, cut out the rust boxes, add your 2x3 or 2x4 or 2x6 slider. then similar to race cages, tie in a piece of tube from your base of your roll bar to the front floor where it starts to angle up.. this will help spread the load and make up for the integrity you might have ruined by cutting out the box's. just tie the front to a plate, and sandwhich a plate under a floor with bolts going through the body.

7. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I haven't cut yet, so that is good. I do have a roll bar, but will be putting in a full cage in the next year. Guess I could run a tube between the front hoop and the rear. Not sure if that would replace the strength of the boxes though

8. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

id say a solid new piece of 2x3 will be way more ridgid then a rotted factory box, also note how much more material it will be tied to,

my rednecked 75 never failed after i removed mine, i even wacked a few parking garages with my windshild frame:whistle:

9. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

told u lol