Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Substitute for Stainless Extended Brake Lines

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GRINCH, May 11, 2002.

1. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

I recently extended my front brake lines for less than $30. I didn't want to use the aftermarket stainless lines for 2 reasons. 1 the cost and 2 that I live in Montana and have heard about peeps lines breaking wheeling in the winter. I was told that water gets in between the steel braid and plastic line inside and gets brittle and snaps. Didn't want to take a chance!!

Here's what I did. Napa part # 38378 brake lines and # 62 x 3 Union. I just added these to my existing lines. Gave me an additional 6" of travel in the lines. I then fabbed up some brackets that mounted to the bump stop brackets that held the union and brake line while looping the slack so it could flex. Don't have my Digital camera anymore, Will try to get a pic up soon.
    Worked great, cheaper and a piece of mind!!!

2. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

good call...

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Good idea. Yea, I had a bad experience with a SS line. I hit the breaks really hard and the line snapped where they crimped it. Well I ended up rolling 6 times because of not being able to stop /forums/images/icons/frown.gif I went with SS line again, but a differnt style that was crimped better. So far so good.

Dan