Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

suburban 2500 with a 6.5L, what is the tow rating?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yunit, May 2, 2003.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

looking for something to pull the ol' girl with and was looking at the suburban 2500's with the 6.5L diesel, but what is the max it can tow with it's hitch setup?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've got a 1994 Suburban brochure that says the 6.5TD is good for a GCWR of 12,000 lbs with 3.42 axle ratio, 13,000 with 3.73's, and 14,500 with 4.10's. So back out 6,450 lbs or so (The listed GVWR for the 'burb with the 6.5) and you'll have your tow rating. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Looks like the burb is out of the question. I am going to have to save up for a duramax pickup now. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Thanks Harry. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You'll be glad you did! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif The Duramax is mighty impressive after a few tweaks! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Looks like the burb is out of the question. I am going to have to save up for a duramax pickup now. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Thanks Harry. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Are you referring to the fact that the diesel is not available in the new suburban or do you think that you will go over the towing limits? I ask because I have been looking at this for some time and this is exactly what I was going to do. I even am looking at the F@rd excursions with the 7.3 power stroke I think that it will do the job but it is a ford /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

6. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Here is a towing guide for the 1999 models (last year of the Suburban diesels)

7. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I am going to wait until my 87 is done and then start saving up for a new truck. I will sell my 92 blazer and just use the new truck as my dd and tow rig. I have been looking at both the furd's and the GM's, what I will actually settle on will depend on how much it cost's me.

8. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner