Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suburban 3/4 ton 2wd to 4wd Conversion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 54inches, Jul 15, 2006.

1. 54inches

54inches 1/2 ton status

I have a similar thread open about my topless conversion. I will be posting up some pics soon.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2006
  2. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

let me know how this goes because I will be trying the swap same platform as well (3/4 suburban)

3. 54inches

54inches 1/2 ton status

It is going great. I have the front suspension out and all I need to do is replace the front crossmember with a 4x one. I need to install the ORD crossmember, which will fit my 2x frame.

4. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

I was thinking I would do the ORD crossmember then get a d44 and have cross over steering. what motor do you have and are the motor mount the same between 2wd and 4x4?

got any pics?

5. 54inches

54inches 1/2 ton status

I have a 454 and the motor mounts are totally different. You can re-position them or get the competition mounts from ORD.

I have the ORD crossmember and it looks like it is going to work. I have mocked it up, but I have to do some more stuff to the frame before I know for sure. Stephen with ORD is also waiting to hear if it works or not. It does not always fit 4x4, so you never know.

6. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

have you switch the body spring mont? was that a bitch? Im just trying to find out what Im getting my self into with this swap

7. 54inches

54inches 1/2 ton status

Well, you need to go get yourself a grinder and some good grinding disks that are kinda tapered, so you can grind off the rivets.

I completely de-bracketed (if that is a word) a K5 in about an hour. And I mean every bracket. The difficult part is removing the existing rivets that are leftover IN the brackets once they are removed.

I will be using the B52's one the front of mine, so I have yet to remove them, but I do have a set 4x4 brackets and if I do not use them I'll sell them to ya for cheap or maybe we can trade.

Have you checked out my picture gallery over at texas4x4.org? I do not think it has been hard at all, but then again I will cut anything up, just to see if I can.

If I were you I would go get a WHOLE K5 or Burb to do the transformation. I traded up a bunch and then traded a few vehicles to get a good Blazer, but I needed it for all three of my conversions: 2 to 4, topless, and Fuel Injection......

Next question.

8. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

let me know about the front mounts. I don't have room to pick up a parts truck, I'm full.I'm going to just collect the pieces then try to do it in a weekend,crazy maybe I got friends that owe me:D

9. 54inches

54inches 1/2 ton status

I here ya on the space issues. Well I will pick up parts here and there and if you need anything, then just let me know and I will be on the lookout.

10. 54inches

54inches 1/2 ton status

I am fairly certain I will ot use the body mount/spring hangers seeing that I am going with Kert's B52 system. I think $10 for everything will suffice. I will get them together this week.

11. jp0863

jp0863 1/2 ton status Premium Member

not trying to start any crap here, but wouldnt it be easier to start with a 4x4 and just swap over your engine and interior stuff? i know where there is a 3/4 ton 4x4 in good shape, but needs a motor. it's an 88' with an efi 350 that his son put a nice hole in the oil pan with the rod, but cheap. not sure what his bottom line would be, but probably around 800.

12. 54inches

54inches 1/2 ton status

if you have to preface your post with, "not trying to start crap"....then maybe you just shouldn't.......

My 2WD happened to be my Grandfathers and I had alot of memories in as a child.......that's why.....

13. jp0863

jp0863 1/2 ton status Premium Member

like i'm supposed to know that. my point for not wanting to start crap is that if for some reason anyone wanted to do the work just because they wanted to, than who am i to say anything different. it was just a suggestion!! good luck with your build either way.

14. 54inches

54inches 1/2 ton status

That's exactly right, you wouldn't know that, and THAT is why you should not make gross generalizations.

Now did you have a substantial question about the conversion or are yyou just going to hi-jack the thread somemore?

15. 54inches

54inches 1/2 ton status

Here is the Driver's B52 mounted for mock-up purposes only. I dusted it with white paint so I could mark the holes in the frame.

[​IMG]

Showing the front of the frame.

[​IMG]

Bracket removed and showing the holes that won't be drilled, but will be plug welded and the other holes that WILL be drilled for the bracket.

[​IMG]

Same story, different holes:

[​IMG]

Bottom of frame showing more of the same.

[​IMG]

Here is the ORD Xmember mocked in place.

I also painted the areas where I had removed rivots and/or bolts for the sway bar brackets and front 2wd Xmember.

[​IMG]

16. chevyguybc

chevyguybc 1/2 ton status

id like to know if the ORD crossmember worked,

i have a 81 2wd long box im converting, also my front crossmember is not solid, it has holes , 4x4 is solid

did u change that out

also will a 4x4 factory engine crossmembers work,

17. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

On the other hand

If you can't take people offering information you don't need or in directions you don't want to go then maybe you shouldn't post either.:rolleyes:

18. 54inches

54inches 1/2 ton status

Chevyguy....I am finishing up my front mounts and then I am going to brace up the front frame by welding in some temporary braces before I take out the FRONT crossmember.

My front does not have any holes in it, but yes I am going to change it out.

The ORD crossmember is not even made for my application, per say, but Steven and I decided to move forward and FAB if I need to. See my truck is a factory BIG BLOCK, but they did not offer that option when I ordered mine.

A factory engine crossmember should bolt in, but if not it is just a drilled hole away from fitting! :)

I have some really good pics from one of the builds on here with the engine out and the crossmember installed. Once I get it installed I will post mine up for a reference for ya'll.

19. 54inches

54inches 1/2 ton status

Well I was in a welding mood, so I got the ORD frame repair somewhat welded in today.(welded the three rosebuds done)

I also fabbed up some of the areas on the back where they were slightly rusted out and added some steel to join the two structures together.

It is really coming along, well, as long as my welder keeps at this pace anyways.....

20. chevyguybc

chevyguybc 1/2 ton status

i pulled out my front 2wd crossmember along with the sway bar..

soon to come is pull motor out, custom make motor mount out of 2x2 tube etc..

also swapping in front 4wd crossmember...

then weld in front crosssmember and holesaw front - rear mount and bolt in place..