Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suburban axels to K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mrcold, Aug 3, 2004.

1. mrcold

mrcold Registered Member

What do I have to do to get axels from a -70 suburban to fit my -86 K5? Is there any difference in length or something else I need to know?

2. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

It's a direct swap

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

What year exactly is the Suburban? Like Bullet said, if it is a 1973 or newer, it is a direct swap. 1972 or older is not. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. mrcold

mrcold Registered Member

It’s a 1970 suburban

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

rear spring spacing is different so the rear perches need to be moved to match the k5's spacing. the front is a direct bolt in. Is the front drum brake /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. mrcold

mrcold Registered Member

Nope the front is disc. What about the length of the axels, are they the same?

7. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

same castings. width too /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. mrcold

mrcold Registered Member

Ok thanks! I would have to pay 1050 $ for the front and rear axel with 4.57 gear ratio, is that a reasonable price?

10. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok thanks! I would have to pay 1050 $ for the front and rear axel with 4.57 gear ratio, is that a reasonable price?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here in the States, that's waaay too expensive. Seeing as there are prolly many less Chevy trucks where you are, that might be okay.

You will need to cut & re-weld the spring perches, so it's not a drop-in affair. If you can weld or know a welder, this is fine; otherwise, you might wait to get a 1973-1991 set of axles.

-- A

11. mrcold

mrcold Registered Member

Well how much would you pay? I have been looking for a set of axels the howl summer... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif and these are the first ones with the right gear ratio that has popped up. I can weld them my self so that’s no problem. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

12. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

depending on bearing condition and brakes i would say $400-$500 is average here for a pair.

13. mattcorleone

mattcorleone Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Well how much would you pay? I have been looking for a set of axels the howl summer... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif and these are the first ones with the right gear ratio that has popped up. I can weld them my self so that’s no problem. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    As an example... I've been looking for three weeks now and have come across a pair of 3/4 ton (14 bolt & 10 bolt w/ 8 lugs w/ 4.11's and a locker out back) that had virtually brand new 6" lift springs, shocks, and steering arm all bolted onto it for $700. I also found two other 4.56 14 bolts for $100 - $125. I don't know condition as I have not gone to look at them. Like you, I am looking for a matching front and rear set w/ 4.56's... something that is kinda hard to find. You could try to negotiate some... but if it's what you need it's what you need. You could probably easily find a pair with the incorrect ratio and regear it for less than what they are asking... but I don't know how nice they are or how much work you want to put into getting them ready to put in... or how many junk trucks are around you that you could get axles out of.

14. mrcold

mrcold Registered Member

Ok… maybe I can get them down 150 – 200 bucks to $900 ore so but I don’t think I can get them much cheaper here in [darn] Sweden! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Well at least they have the right gear ratio! I can probably get the $900 from selling my current axels and the tiers and rims! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

15. mrcold

mrcold Registered Member

Well every thing that has something to do with American cars is [darn] expensive here in Sweden. I don’t think it will be cheaper to regear them as a set of ring and pinion cost like $300 new per set and $150 - $200 used in good condition.

The ones I have found have a locker rear and front if I remember correctly and are 8 luge.