Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suburban axles?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Dieselmh, Jun 21, 2001.

1. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

I may have the chance to buy an old (late 70's or early 80's) Suburban for 500 bucks. The guy knows that it is a 4X4, and that it ran when it was parked about 3 years ago. He doesn't know much more. I was wondering if anyone knows what axles it should have under it, and if I can use them on my 1970 K5. Would there be many mods needed, is it even worth it? I know this is the 73-91 board, but I needed as much help as possible. Thanks.

Diesel

Everything's bigger in Texas!

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

You would need to provide us with more specific information concerning this particular Suburban in order to know what axles it has. Depending on what model year it is and if it's an 1/2 or 3/4 ton makes a difference. Here's a general guideline.

1. If the wheels have 6 lugs holding them on, then it's a 1/2 ton. A late '70s would probably have a 12-bolt corporate rear and a Dana 44 (more likely if it's a '77 or older). From '77 and newer the corporate 10-bolt front is most likely. The 10-bolt rear replaced the 12-bolt some time in the early 80's. You can distinguish between the 10 and 12 bolt rear axles by the number of bolts holding the cover on. The 10 bolt and 44 fronts can be distinguished as the 10-bolt has a round or oval cover, the 44 has more squared off edges and angles on the cover. In any case, these axles would not be any better than what you currently have, with the expection if your current axles are shot or if you have drum brakes on the front and want to convert to disk.

2. If the wheels have 8 lugs holding them on, then it's a 3/4 ton. The front axle would be the same as the above, except they would have the 8-lug hub and rotors. The rear could either be a semi or full floating corporate 14-bolt. Again, if it is a late '70's the chances are higher for the full-floater rear as I don't believe the semi-floating version was common until the early 80's. The full-floater can be distinguished by a large hub protruding through the rear wheels by about 2-3".

3. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. I forgot to tell you, he said that he was sure it was a 3/4 ton. Sounds like I should save my money, my axles aren't shot, I was just looking to maybe move up a little without paying much money. I appreciate the help.

Diesel

Everything's bigger in Texas!

4. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

almost all 70s 3/4 ton subs had d44/14b and most hd1/2 ton with came witha rear12b ,I bought the same sub 300$for a 75

88k5 silverado w4"lift soon to have <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s