Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suburban body on a K30 drw

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ronnie4wd, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Ronnie4wd

Ronnie4wd 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a K30 single cab drw from 87 with a wheelbase of 160".What´s the wheelbase of an suburban.Do you have any more thoughts about this. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Suburban is about 130" wheelbase. A regular cab with an 8-foot box is 131.5" - so that is the closest match.

160" wheelbase sounds like the "cab & chassis" model they use for tow-trucks and box-vans.

3. Ronnie4wd

I don´t know the word for it but it doesn´t have the "pick-up bed" I would call it a "truck bed" /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif.And it isn´t wider than the cab,not even the outer wheels.So the suburban doesn´t fit,would a /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif be easy to put on my frame.

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Ah yes, of course, a "flatdeck" /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Fitting anything but a regular cab on your truck will take some work. The part of the frame under the cab area is about 4" lower than the rest of the frame. On a Suburban or crewcab the low section is much longer. If you place the crewcab body on your frame, it will sit too high... or to get it the correct height, you need to cut open the rear floor area, build your own rear cab mounts - then patch the floor together.

The crewcab is normally 165" wheelbase, but you could just shorten your flatdeck. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. Ronnie4wd

Sounds like it´s going to remain regular cab but i will be forced to do something about the "flatdeck".Because it´s so rusty and the wood is so soft, it´s the kind you can open the sides and the rear.Now it´s almost open down to the frame too /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif