Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suburban gets a paint job- I get record time at Mud Bog

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Aug 8, 2006.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

This weekend our friend Sam was putting on a mud bog at the Colville Fairgrounds. So, we decided to spice up the Suburban a bit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Believe it or not, no alcohol or drugs were involved in the process. Proving that you don't need drugs or alcohol to do things fun (or in this case stupid).
    Then since Sam said it wasn't going to be a shallow blow-through pit, the 35's came off and 39.5" Boggers went on the rear and the Grand Prix tires up front. Sawzalling was involved.
    [​IMG]

Wayne sported a new purple paint job on the Baby Bronco. We met up at the Wal-Mart parking lot and turned some heads. In my case, head turning includes head shaking.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The mud was deep at first. The alcohol dragsters floated across, but as soon as ther other mud rigs hit it, alot of people got stuck, including people who rarely get stuck. Big tires and high horsepower were the key, and even a couple of them got stuck.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As they worked down toward my class, the pit got blow out some. But I watched as the two rigs before me had to get pulled out. The mud wasn't as deep as earlier, but thick like concrete and hard to churn through.
    I had 4.88 gears and 40" tall tires... in a fullsize Suburban with a winch on it, two passengers equaling about 400lbs additional weight, with a TH350 and NP205 in low range, and stock 350, with probably dished pistons and who knows how many miles (A/C still hooked up and working).
    Lets say I had enough tire, and enough frame/body clearance, but no where near enough power. 4.88 gears, low range and low gear... to the floor the entire way, and it barely churned the tires through. But on my first run I didn't have to get pulled out!
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2592159576408331861&pr=goog-sl
    I think I got the record longest time out of everyone who didn't get stuck. I remember I had to ask for my time in minutes. When I watched the vid, I was like, Thats Lame! Looks so much shallower on the video than it felt trying to drive through it. I'm not used to not having a big block.
    After a night's sleep,
    [​IMG]
    day two brought a lesser crowd, but everyone got 2 runs. I got stuck this time, as did quite a few others. Then towards the end everyone broke a shallower trail through the left side, and everyone (just about) made it. I think my run was about 7 seconds... floored again. Pretty pathetic, but I guess I can't complain for what I have into it.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6154002678998332832&pr=goog-sl
    Back home again with Ione mud as a top coating.
    [​IMG]
    Advantages of a gutless 350= I didn't break anything and drove it the 40 highway miles back pulling the little Dodge trailer without incident.

2. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

shweeet :bow:

i say you take that motor and CAMM IT UP!!!! :haha:

3. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

So there IS a burb that's brighter than mine.... :thinking:
    looks like alot of fun mud :waytogo:

4. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

But dude its hard to break things in mud. Man I bet my 305 has more power than your Burb. I've seen my All Terrains fling more mud. :D

But really, nice run :bow:

5. mountainexplorer

Oh yeah, it was pretty gutless. I figured with 4.88's and running low range it would have gotten more wheel spin, but it was floored all the way and that was it. Pretty sad. But it was thick. It slowed down alot of the fast rigs... even the 350 powered purple Jeep on Boggers that usually screams got stuck.

In a way, I wish I'd have brought the Truck Blazer, but it runs right now and I know if I keep driving it, I will need to be pulling a motor or something out of it again. So it stays parked.

At least I gave everyone something to laugh at. That's what I'me there for. :haha:

6. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That was cool Allen I had a bog like that once in fact they flagged me to shut down and I yelled I am still moving. I didn't make it though

7. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Aw shucks. Up until I saw this, thats the "custom paint theme" I was gonna put on mine.:haha:

8. mountainexplorer

So you were gonna paint yours like a fishing lure too? :D

9. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Oh man, great concept. Paint the offroad/fishing truck like a lure. That is really cool. That would make for some amazing rigs.
    Photo-chop op right there.:D

10. wegel11

wegel11 Registered Member

Damn, I live in Colville. I didnt hear anything about this, now im pissed that I didnt get to watch.

11. mountainexplorer

Really? It was going on both days. I'm surprised you couldn't hear the alcohol mud dragsters. They were loud enough! :D

12. wegel11

Yeah, now that you say that I think I remember hearing them. Didnt think much of it at the time. Were there alot of trucks there?

13. mountainexplorer

There was a good turnout Saturday. There were less rigs Sunday, but still quite a few.

14. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

its always funny to see the local kids with their lifted trucks and stock drive train slap on a set of boggers and go "gallee muh truck ustacould spin dem tires i had on der bee fo" boggers take massive amounts of power to spin i have found

balzer

15. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

did yer arms get tired from so much back and forth????? :haha:

16. mountainexplorer

My arms didn't get too tired... but I did realize as I was going through that I forgot to top off the PS fluid since the steering box leaks and it was a little low.

I knew the boggers would suck the power out of it. That's why I only ran two on the back and two of the Grand Prix tires up front (Ground Hawg look-a-likes). I had hoped the 4.88 gears and low range would be low enough for the stock 350... but it wasn't. Plus I'm used to big blocks.

17. wegel11

Hey that would have been my game plan.:wink1: Except I would have just left the same tires on it. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/510901/1 There are some pics of my trucks if you want to check them out. The cheyenne on the second page is mine. I like to say the k5 is mine too, but its my dads... someday it will be:rolleyes: .