Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suburban lift height

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Mar 12, 2001.

I'm planning on lifting my '87 Suburban (1/2T 6.2dsl, swapped in TH400 tranny). Been planning on 6" lift & 35-36" tires. I'm afraid if I go larger it won't ride soft and I'm not sure if my axles are strong enough for larger tires (say 38"s). If I do a taller lift for 38" tires how tall, and will I have to change out the stock 6 bolt axles right away or will they last for awhile so I can get more $ saved up?

1. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I would plan to stay with the 6" and 35-36" tires if I were you. the 1/2T drive train (axles) is pretty marginal for anything bigger, and you may have problems with the 28spl 10 bolt rear with 36's.
    Another thing to consider is that heavier duty axles will probably be 8 lug, so watch your wheel and tire selection or you'll have to sell them before you buy new wheels and tires. Ride does begin to suffer with a lift taller than 6", and you start to loose some of the highway driving stability also.
    Hope this helps

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD

2. Suburban 6" lift with shackle flip kit and new springs

I'm interested in some more info on the shackle flip kits. I'm lifting the rig 6", but the back will have to get 7" or so to level the Sub. I like the idea of the shackle flips to help reduce the spring arch as well as angle the pinion up. Will the 4" shackle flip angle the pinion up too much? Perhaps I should go with 2.5" shackle flips & 4" springs instead of 2-3" springs with the 4" shackles??

One more thing, my Sub has the 6.2 dsl with four shocks in front. The front rides quite a bit stiffer than the back now. Should I eliminate the extra set of shocks on the front or are they advised?

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Re: Suburban 6\" lift with shackle flip kit and new springs

I would advise going with the 4" flip because it will get you the shortest spring, which will work better than a deeper arch. The pinion will likely need to come up a little anyway, but you may end up shimming it down some in the longer wheelbase. Shims are available up to about 6 degrees, which is a pretty good bit.
    You could try the front with 2 shocks and see how you like it. If the shocks weren't soft valved for multiple shock applications, it will be stiff. Best advice, try it and see how you like it.
    The only reasons to have multiple shocks are:
    If you just can't get stiff enough valving out of a single shock
    Fade resistance, if they heat up on you, duals will last longer.

That's it. If you don't have one of these problems, you don't need duals.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD