Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suburban Makeover; and weekend pictures (dial up beware)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Jul 31, 2006.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

The $350 Suburban started out life with me as owner as being stock heighth with running boards, 1/2 ton axles, 3.07 gears, and 30" tires. Couldn't have it like that for long.
    [​IMG]

First off, the tube bumper and brush guard looked goofy on the '81-up body style of my '82 Stepside. So, the big ugly bumper went onto the ugly Suburban.
    [​IMG]

Then, the 1/2 ton 3.07 ratio 10-bolt front end and stock springs get ditched for 8" lift springs and a 4.88 ratio 8-lug 10-bolt.

[​IMG]
    Drove it around like this a bit. Headlights showed me what tree tops looked like at night.
    [​IMG]

Then the rear end's turn... getting rid of the 3.07 ratio 12-bolt in favor of a 14-bolt full-floater with 4.88s and 8" rear springs.
    [​IMG]
    Darn rusted spring bolts make an easy task a difficult and time consuming one.

Finally done and sitting about level on 35" BFG's off my other Suburban.
    [​IMG]

Dave came up to store his motorhome up at my place. I own his motorhome's brother.
    [​IMG]

Had to get up early Saturday. A guy wanted to buy the tailgate off the Suburban for $45... I figured I better seel it while it works. So, I sold it to him and removed it, and now had $305 cash remaining into the Suburban (plus what I'm paying for the 4.88 axles).

Saturday morning; lining up the trucks to go through the town parade.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Down in town waiting for our turn.
    [​IMG]

My friend drove my yellow '84 through the parade. Out of all the trucks, they gave it the 2nd ugliest truck trophy. I'm thinking the judges didn't like yellow, cause it looks better than Brutus or the Truck Blazer for sure.
    [​IMG]

My friend's sister drove the Suburban through, and got 1st place trophy for ugliest truck.
    [​IMG]

Eric drove Brutus and didn't get a trophy.
    [​IMG]

This was the first time... ever... that my brother went out with us up into the hills. Here we are parked at the Huckleberry patch.
    [​IMG]

My brother is going anywhere and everywhere in his new Arctic Cat. It was funny watching my 62 year old brother and his girlfriend whiz past us going nearly 50 mph on Cedar Creek Road, and having to stop and wait for the rest of us to catch up the rest of the drive.

I honestly didn't think 8" springs would flex this much.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It actually flexed even more at another point. I took it easy, scared of ripping out a brake line, or screwing up my front driveline.

Ironic... miles and miles on the backroads away from any civilization, only to get a huge nail in my sidewall. Made it all the way back to my driveway when it finally gave out.
    [​IMG]

Got back only to find out Eric's car was totalled. It had gotten rolled upon driving too fast from town up the road to see if we were back from the mountains. Luckily, no one was hurt. It now sits in my field.
    [​IMG]

We went up with my Truck Blazer, Travis's 4-Runner, and my nephew Jeremy's Jeep and put a new paint job on each of them at the little mud hole up the road. It looks like a camo green when it's wet, then turns a lighter grey when it dries.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the street dance Saturday night, my little nieces and the other kids were trying to hook me up with a girl. But no luck.

Sunday we went to the park and watched snowmobiles go across the river, and saw a few go under. And thats was about it for the weekend. At least everything of mine still runs, and the Suburban is fun to drive. It'll get bigger tires soon.

2. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

nice that suburban looks sweet now! I wish I could have come up for the weekend.

3. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

That motorhome is bad a$$!!

4. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Yep, it won ugliest truck! I figure if they're doing trophies for that... just think of what I could drag through the parade next year.

As for the yellow '84 getting 2nd ugliest, it surprised us all.

5. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Very nice trucks.. looks like a blast :bow: