Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suburban questions

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by pismorat, Feb 24, 2003.

1. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

My dad is looking at a 1999 Suburban with a 6.5L turbo diesel. He thinks it has a 4L80E tranny and a 245 transfer case. It has a Superlift 6" lift, 35" tires, 16.5" weld wheels, and 4.10 gears. It has 55,000 miles on it. They are asking $22,000. Is this a good deal? What rear axle would this have in it (Dana 60)? Limited slip? What is the max towing capacity? Could it easily tow a weekend warrior with a car inside? Is this a good vehicle for all around use + towing? What are you opinions and thoughts?? Thanks a lot. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

It shoule have the 14-bolt full-floater (10.5") rear end since it is a diesel. The stock posi (gov-lok) is considered poor. It has the auto-trac t-case... I don't know much about it; essentially the same animal in the Silverado's.

4.10's are a good towing gear with stock-sized tires. With the larger tires and (what sounds like) a heavy trailer, it should probably be re-geared to be ideal... perhaps even necessary if the speedo hasn't been calibrated since the addition of the 35's.

Can't really comment on price... I only shop in the 3-4 digit range /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif