Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

suburban questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pismorat, Feb 25, 2003.

1. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

My dad is looking at a 1999 Suburban with a 6.5L turbo diesel. He thinks it has a 4L80E tranny and a 245 transfer case. It has a Superlift 6" lift, 35" tires, 16.5" weld wheels, and 4.10 gears. It has 55,000 miles on it. They are asking $22,000. Is this a good deal? What rear axle would this have in it (Dana 60)? Limited slip? What is the max towing capacity? Could it easily tow a weekend warrior with a car inside? Is this a good vehicle for all around use + towing? What are you opinions and thoughts?? Thanks a lot. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

Yes it will be a 4L80E and an NP246 (I think). If it came factory with 4.10s it must be a 2500. That would = a 14 Bolt FF. This would make a great towing vehicle, around 10,000 would be about the max.

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Some were rated to 12,000 lbs., but it depends which options were checked off when it was ordered.

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Only problem I can forsee is the auto-trac transfer case... I've heard rumors the vehicles with the auto-trac weren't "liftable" for whatever reason... may have to do with the traction control and larger tires - dunno for sure.

If it packs it in, just swap in a BW4401 or 4470 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

he already said it has a 6" lift.

6. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

They are "liftable" you just have to make sure you get the correct kit- our 99 Z-71 which had auto trac had a Rancho 4" lift...(okay okay the lift never made it out of the box and onto the truck......but rancho makes one) Superlift makes one- and I believe pro-comp.

The guy I bought my K5 from just had a hassle with Skyjacker- they sent him the wrong kit twice- for his 99 Tahoe with the auto-trac....he ended up going rancho.

Brandy