Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

suburban questions

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by pismorat, Feb 25, 2003.

1. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

My dad is looking at a 1999 Suburban with a 6.5L turbo diesel. He thinks it has a 4L80E tranny and a 245 transfer case. It has a Superlift 6" lift, 35" tires, 16.5" weld wheels, and 4.10 gears. It has 55,000 miles on it. They are asking $22,000. Is this a good deal? What rear axle would this have in it (Dana 60)? Limited slip? What is the max towing capacity? Could it easily tow a weekend warrior with a car inside? Is this a good vehicle for all around use + towing? What are you opinions and thoughts?? Thanks a lot. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I'm not likely to be much help, as I'm more in on the older suburbans. equipment options depend on wether the truck was originaly a 1500 or a 2500. if it were originaly a 1500, then transmission is a 4l60e. if its a 2500, then its more likely the 4l80e. the rear also depends on the weight class. if its a 1/2 ton ( 1500) its probably just a 10 bolt rear. if its a 3/4 ton, then chances are its a 14 bolt semi floater, or a 14 bolt full floater ( do they still make those?) easiest way to tell is to count the number of bolts holding the rear differential cover on, and the number of lugs on the rim. I don't believe chevy uses D60's in the rear ends of its trucks, since it has the 14 bolt instead, although who knows.

maximum towing capacity is more likely then not dicated by wether its a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck, and chances are, its just the standard 11,000 Lbs CURB weight. this means Truck+ trailer weight. most people believe 11,000 Lbs means you can hook up an 11,000 Lbs trailer to it, and take off, and most manufacturers don't really do much to clarify this while they're advertising. what you need to do is take the truck weight ( say 6500 Lbs GVWR) and subtract it from the towing capacity, meaning you can safely tow about 4500 Lbs behind it.

as for wether it can haul a massive trailer behind it? probably not safely, especialy on 35's, but it'll most likely have enough physical power to do it.

22,000 for a 4 year old truck? I don't think I'd go for that, but then again, I'm also part of the `built not bought' crew, and have only spent 2500 bucks to date on `burbanzilla' ( 73 K20 suburban)including the 454 that I'm building up to drop in it.

someone chime in and correct any/all my misconceptions...

-Rich

3. nevercomplete

nevercomplete 1/2 ton status

If it came stock with the 6.5 it's either a 1500HD (not many around) or more likely a 3/4ton. I'm pretty sure the only tranny you could get with the 6.5 in a suburban was the 4l80e. Personally I think $22,000 is a bit pricey. I'm not much into the post '91 suburbans anyways. Sorry I'm not much help, I'm sure someone here will give you the info you need.

Jon

4. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Your paying for the lift/tires/rims etc....around here, you can pick up a 99 2500 with the 454 for under 19K......with less miles that that.....

bonus of the 99 is it's not the 'new' body style

5. rtigert

rtigert Registered Member

I can buy a '99, 3/4, 454, 4X4 with leather, 65,000 miles, and wheels/tires locally for $16,000; so I think that the price is...well, "pricey". As far as the rear on a 3/4 late model, it will have a semi-floating 14 bolt.

6. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

The later model 3/4 ton with turbo deisel probably has a 14bff rear, and may have a factory traction device.