Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suburban radiator question for Burb and radiator experts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Ok, I'm going to help a friend of the missus out and fix their 1991 Suburban. Their kid rear ended somebody and the front end needs some fixin'. At first we thought the radiator might be bent, but it turns out it is intact, no leakage. But, I was looking at it and it looked awfully thin. I measured the core and it is only a little over 1 inch deep. I got online and saw that there are 3 and 4 core radiators available for it. But, I noticed that the 3 core is listed as 1-7/8 inches thick and the 4 core is 2-1/2 inches thick. So I measure his and it is barely over an inch thick. I found one site that had a Chevy radiator listed at 1-1/4 inches. I can't believe the Suburban could've come with that small of a radiator. Any burb owners out there know? I guess the point is moot because he told me he overheats all the time when towing his boat. Go figure with the thin radiator. So, I will swap a new one in for him. So here is my question, if I go 4 core, will I have to get different brackets and rubber pads? It looks like the 2 and 3 core radiators share the same outer tanks. Does the 4 core have a fatter tank? It looks like you could fit 2-1/2 inches of core in between the same tanks.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

The lower rubber cushions can just be moved out but the upper might need a new top plate as some have different heights to the rads. As far as the actual cushions go, on my 75, I had to get new cushions going from 3-core to 4-core.

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

So long as you match the header thickness and the core height/width the rad should fit.

Most common with a SBC is a 17x28x1-5/8". My crew had a 2-row version and I replaced it with a 3-row of the same size so I didn't need to mess around with the shroud or mounts.

19x34" is normally a BBC/diesel rad. Not sure what the 19x28" got used for mostly... towing package?

4. Desert Rat

From what I can see, it seems like swapping a 3 row in would be no changes. It is the 4 row that I worry about. The rubber pads go on the tanks so if the tank gets bigger, the pads change and the brackets too. The dimensions of the 2,3, and 4 rows are identical except for depth on the core. Muddytazz, did you get new pads because the tanks were fatter? The radiator in there now is 19" H x 28-1/4" W x about 1"+ D. The LMC catalog lists the replacement as a 3 row that is 19x28-1/4x1 7/8. It lists a 4 row but says it is for a 454 at 19x28 1/4x2-1/2. I'm thinking going 3 row is going to be better than the small 2 row but the row would be my preference.

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Many listings refer to the thickness as being the header/tank thickness... not the actual core thickness.

6. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

The 3 core should fit with no modifications but the 4 core will not.. The 4 core is the same height but the upper mounts will not be wide enough to reach over the width and bolt down..

I just went thru this not long ago and what I did was to use tie straps to hold it in place until I can get new top mounts and a new fan shroud.. IIRC the dealer wanted like $60 bucks for the top mounts and a new shroud to fit the 4 core..

I picked up my 4 core from Advanced Auto for just under $200 bucks with a lifetime warranty..

7. Desert Rat

Crap, I'm looking at a different shroud too? That is good to know, I was just about to order the one listed for the stock rig. Of course LMC doesn't list one for the 454, just the 400. Was that $60 for the top straps and the shroud? If so, that isn't too bad. LMC is selling the two piece shroud for about $80 for the A/C one and $19 for brackets.

8. mudslinger99

Yep that was for both :waytogo:

I wish somebody would have told me that it wouldn't fit before I went and got mine :doah: But that is ok I need a new shroud anyway mine is kinda beat up :laugh:

9. Desert Rat

I ended up going with a 3 row from Kragen. Ran me about $200 and is a GoDan Industries, which was Transpro which merged with Modine and is now Proliance ( http://www.pliii.com/ ). It was just a hassle to go 4 row. By the way, went to the Chevy dealership and they were quoting me in the $500-600 range for a radiator. They also didn't have the brackets. They could order the two piece shroud but it was going to be about $80.

10. mudslinger99

The 3 that I have bought from Advanced Auto were Modine.. I have had one of them for about 6 years and had no problems..

I have never priced a radiator from a dealer but that price seems way out of line.. They must have thought you wanted it gold lined :eek1: