Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suburban rear ends

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Sep 27, 2004.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What rear ends did 80-85 suburbans have. Im sorry if this is a broad question but there is a junked up one at a neighbors house that has been sitting forever. I was gonna offer them some $ for it if it had any good parts. I have 10bolts right now and looking for cheap upgrades. Thanks Mike

2. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

If it was a 1/2 ton it should be a 10 bolt. A 3/4 ton could have the semi-floating 14 bolt or a full floating 14 bolt.

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

You can use the rear-end out of any 1/2 or 3/4 ton 73-87 pickup. The half tons will be 10 bolts (some 12 bolts in the earlier years). The 3/4 tons will be 14 bolt FF (and some 14 bolt SF in the later years). You can even use the rear axle out of a 1 ton which will be a 14 bolt FF, but you have to relocate the spring perches.

What I'm trying to say is that there are a lot of options out there. You don't need an axle out of a suburban to put under your suburban. Just match the ratio of the front axle and go!

And, as far as "cheap"...you shouldn't have to pay more than about $200 for any of the axles I listed above (unless the axle has an aftermarket locker or limited slip...then it might be more expensive).

4. rhuarc31

rhuarc31 Registered Member

My 86 'burb's got a 12 bolt under it /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif but maybe this link will help CK5 Axle Guide So just go look and see /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

either its a transplant or a 14 bolt semi floater. 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton brb? 14 bolt semi floaters and 12 bolts look very similar pumpkin wise.