Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suburban rear shock setups...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PonchoCatalina, Sep 12, 2005.

1. PonchoCatalina

PonchoCatalina Registered Member

Feb 8, 2005
    This is just an “out of curiosity” question. I have two ’86 Suburbans, one is a 6.2 diesel, the other a 350 gasoline engine, both ½ ton 2WD. The diesel has the usual saggy rear end that ‘burbs tend to exhibit after almost twenty years, but the gasser sits high and proud. Initially I assumed that the diesel had done more hauling and the leaf springs were simply more worn- out from loading. However, this morning as I was leaving for work I noticed another difference between the two vehicles: the diesel has standard gas shocks that are mounted to the frame behind the axle (incline from axle toward rear end); the gasser has coil-over shocks that are mounted to the frame in front of the axle (incline from axle toward front end). I assume the shock coils are helping to support the rear end of the gasser, thus its higher stance. My question: why the difference? Are the coil-overs an aftermarket addition by a PO, am I seeing two different factory setups, or is there a difference in rear shock mounting between gas and diesel Suburbans? Like I said, just courious.