Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suburban Rear sway bar for Blazer 2wd

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by littlebubba, Apr 8, 2002.

1. littlebubba

littlebubba 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know what Suburbans used the rear sway bars (factory installed/ not aftermarket type). And is there any reason why it wouldn't work for a 2wd Blazer (73-82) 12 bolt rearend? or would I just be better off finding a later 1/2 ton C10 rearend with swaybar to use, because I still don't have posi in rearend.

2. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure which ones were factory installed but I don't see why any sway bar that came on the same axle you have wouldn't work. I picked up a '78 chevy pickup that had a 14 bolt FF and sway bar. I'm planning on using it in my Sub once I fugure out how to make disconnects for it. I do as much towing as I do wheelin. Are towing or are looking for performance?

3. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

.... whats the point of a rear swaybar? the axles already strait on the thing... I'dthink they'd just limit the amount the rear springpacks could flex... someone please elaborate for me and `splain how they work, or why I might want one on my 77 K20?

-Rich

4. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I'm pulling mine off a trailering special C20. I was just thinking that the Chevy engineers didn't spend all day designing a sway bar that didn't work. I just want to see if I can get my trailer pulling duties to be a little less exciting. I'm planning on making a swaybar disconnect if I can. I'm still experimenting. If things work out I'll let you know. Those K5's would be hard pressed to do what we do. On this last trip I had to tow a 1/2 ton that blew his engine home.

BTW, sarcasm is free of charge.

5. littlebubba

littlebubba 1/2 ton status

The whole point of the rearsway bar is to control body roll, as in handling! These Blazers have a high center of gravity and want to do funny things if you get a little crazy going in the corners. Thats why the NASCAR boys run them on thier cars and trucks on the track. Did that help?

6. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

me thinks I need to go find one and see how its attatched.. I know they're to help control swap, hence the name sway bar, or sway control bar, but I'm not understanding how they do that in the rear, without binding with the springs, or completely negating them. plus, I thought that having a solid axle took care of most of the sway tendancies in a vehicle... <shrug>

-Rich

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

8. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Rich, mine goes in the opposite direction of the front swaybar. It's from the frame to the axle, along the bottom of the axle, then back to the frame. It attaches to the frame the same way '60's chevy's (cars) front swaybars attach to the A-arm, (on those rods). At the axle it ataches to some brackets that are held under your axle by your U-bolts. It will take away about 1.5" of clearance under your diff but if it makes towing easier I'll give it a try.

-Richard