Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

suburban seat belts in my 77 K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by nicshorse, Apr 22, 2003.

1. nicshorse

nicshorse Registered Member

will they just bolt right in or do i need to make them bolt in. there are no blazers in the junk yard to pull them out of. i want to drive the blazer all of the time, but my one year old must ride in the back seat. if they won't do , then do you folks have any ideas? oh, before you suggest this, there is no pep boys locally

2. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I really hate nothing more than people botching seatbelts....(not directed at you).

JC whitney- summit, lmc chevy duty etc.. all sell replacement seat belts- if your going to be putting your 1 year old in with one of these from a junk yard- how do you know the belt isnt fawked from an accident etc... just spend the dough on a new set.

Brandy

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Do you trust your life to Chinese sewing? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I trust old GM stuff more than aftermarket new stuff made in countries that can't even duplicate body parts correctly. I *really* doubt these companies that make the belts have them tested by DOT for strength.

Anyways, personal preferences aside, at least the later trucks do not share the seatbelts with the K5's. Trucks/sub's etc use a mechanism bolted to the floor at the base of the seat, while the K5 shoulder belts are bolted to the B pillar in 2 places, since the bucket seat brackets don't allow for the bolts of the truck models, since they don't use the tall K5 seat brackets.

4. nicshorse

nicshorse Registered Member

you have a good point and for some reason i did not thik that way. just looking for something local (and cheap). i think i will look in my LMC catalogue and get some coming. thank you for bringing my one year old to my attention.

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

well the way I look at it is this- if you pull something like seatbelts from a junk yard rig- how do you know that the belts are going to work in an accident? YOU DONT....you buy seatbelts from a company that deals in automotive restoration.. as does LMC....I'm sure you'll find that they are DOT approved- or they would not sell them.....I dont even think it would be LEGAL for them to sell them if they are not DOT approved, and I am sure that LMC and Summit, chevy duty etc... are perfectly aware of the legal recourse one could have if they did sell something such as seat belts, that were NOT DOT approved.

Just my thought- but no way in hell I'd put the safety of my kids or anyone else that may ride as a passenger in danger, by using a belt I do not know the history of.....

Brandy

6. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    you have a good point and for some reason i did not thik that way

[/ QUOTE ]

guess it's the "mom in me"... there are things that I will not go cheap with, the safety of my kids is the biggest.

Brandy

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Nah, you are probably right regarding their construction, but if you take belts out of a truck that just came in (say for a blown motor) there is no difference between that and the seatbelts that are still working in your 1976 truck, EXCEPT you don't know what's happened to them in the past.

If you don't trust your life to them, then you shouldn't use them, it's that simple, and I agree. I also feel the same way about bolting seats to the floor pan just anywhere, but a lot of people do that too.