Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suburban seems starved for fuel!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BXwildshot, Feb 14, 2006.

1. BXwildshot

BXwildshot Registered Member

My Sub has been running like crap for a month or so and I haven't been able to figure it out. I checked the TBI yesterday and found that I am not getting that fan spray pattern at WOT on either injector. The both seem to just dribble fuel barely. I thought it might have been the TPS so I replaced it but that was not it. I am going to replace the filter later to see if it may be clogged but I need some advice here guys. Is it possible my fuel pump is weak? I don't have a pressure guage but Im going to try and rig one up. The truck will take off decently but will not gain speed too easy and if I floor it it won't gain any speed at all. It barely makes it up hills . Thanks in advance people.

Eric L.

2. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Check the filter (oh, just change it), check the pump and check the injectors.

If you have low line pressure, the pump is probably bad. If you have good line pressure and still no flow, then the injectors might be clogged or just crapped out.

Autozone sells them for $60 each. :D

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yeah change that filter before you do anything else to it. IMO TBI filters should be changed anualy. Espically if you are in the habit of running your truck around below 1/4 tank. Saves wear and tear on the pump

4. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am sure its the fuel pump. I have seen the same symptoms several times and it endded up being the fuel pump. They usualy go out after a couple hundredthousand miles anyways. I am sure its the factory one in there since noone likes to change them sinc the tank needs to be dropped. :burb:

5. BXwildshot

BXwildshot Registered Member

THanks everybody for the advice. I'll check the pump and take it from there.

Eric

6. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Just to throw in my .02 - these filters seem to be for very fine particulate matter - they impede flow very easy. I carry one in the blazer at all times for when this crops up.

Fuel pump - when mine failed it would actually stall. Can you hear the fule pump whine when you are at the back of the vehicle? You should be able to hear it when it is running if your pump is in good shape.

Sounds like filter in this case tho.

7. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

That depends on if it's a catastrophic failure or just wear and tear. A worn pump will spin all day long but just not develop any/enough pressure.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If the filter hasn't been changed any time recently, you are hurting absolutely nothing by changing it, nor wasting money, so that would be the very first thing I did.

About the easiest of any option too.

9. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

.... I wonder if it is fixed.... :dunno: