Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suburban Storage Rack

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by AgDieseler, Oct 3, 2004.

1. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Looking for a semi-permanent solution to storing a full size 35" spare and a full complement of trail tools, I used the base of a subrban 3rd row seat and built a carrier of sorts.

Years have gone by, and the rack has proved that, in fact, it was designed to haul people; not tires and tools. It's in sad shape. So began the redesign process.

I have kept the clips than use the floor mounts, so the rack will remain removeable. I chose to use 1"x1/8" square tube since it has excellent mechanical properties both in tension and compression.

It will be of a "double-decker" design. Two 29"x11.25" storage boxes will occupy the lower deck along with the 15 lb CO2 bottle. The upper deck will hold the spare tire, Hi-Lift, and the shovel/axe combo. The rack will also have a spot for storing a winch bag, pintle hook, 2" ball hitch, and some other small stuff. It will also have a lot more bracing than the first rack did.

I'll update this thread as progress is made.

Here's what I got done today:
    [​IMG]

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i have thought of the very same thing with a twist.

i like the idea of it being removable but secure. i was going to find/make a set od floor seat mounts and put the in further back, so that your stuff ie camping other stuff is in front and not packed in in front of your recovery and tools. that way if you still wanted the 3ed seat in it could still fit.

i want my tire,shovel, and hi-lift, on a bumper mounted swing out carrier that wont interfear with the barn door opening.

whats the opening in the rack the faces the front? for the tire i assume. wouldent you want it faceing the back or /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    are you going to box it and just fill it, or make a racking system to hold tool boxs and stuff?

info need info

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

oh and lets see the SUB!

4. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I recall seeing pictures of your original rack, it was an interesting concept.

I can't wait to see how well this one turns out.

I myself, use my rear seat to much to remove it in favor of a rack, so I'm going to take the winter to work on a set of custom side boxes as well as a rear pull out tray, and a new center console that has more function and storage than the original.

5. AgDieseler

The front opening is for the CO2 bottle. It will be stored at a 35* angle so the liquid doesn't settle in the regulator. The storage boxes will sit next to the bottle.

The spare tire will sit on top of what you see. It will start to take shape in a few days when I can work on it again; you'll see.

Oh, and here's the most recent pic of the burban while it was getting 4.88s over the weekend: /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

[​IMG]

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

holy crap nice shop what the hell is that an airplain hanger for 747s /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

you could turn cercles in there with a burb

7. AgDieseler

6:00am & still awake:
    I nearly finished, but fatigue caught up with me, and I just couldn't push it any further.

The rest won't take long now.

[​IMG]

8. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

that looks awesome. can't wait to see it finished.

9. AgDieseler

I wrapped it up today. It's a little tall, but I have enough material left for a redesign down the road. The tire will probably be lowered a great deal, but I this is a good place to start.

Total time invested: 20 hrs. Total material used: ~60 ft of square tube.

Done for now:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

That looks good in there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Looks good, better than the first design by a long shot!

But how do you get the spare out of the truck?
    It doesn't look like you have enough room to lift it off the mount.

12. AgDieseler

How do I get the spare out? Very carefully! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif It nearly touches the headliner when installing/uninstalling.

In the future, I will probably upgrade this rack to have the tire holder on rails for easier access. It will bolt onto the pattern, then slide into position. This design is a good starting point though.

13. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

mounting it on top is a good idea, but you could always lay it flat and use a bolt to hold it down instead if studs. That way you would not have to pick it up over the mount.

14. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

[​IMG]

mmmmm barn door sub. i need to convert mine to it.
    i like it besides its a little forward but its is a nice secure looking idea, what do you have in the old tire well?
    i want to put dule batterys in mine /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

15. AgDieseler

[ QUOTE ]
    ...what do you have in the old tire well?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Nothing right now. That's where miscellaneous stuff goes for the time being. It will be trimmed along with the rear quarter panels one of these days. I'll put a flat plate in there so it's nearly even with the rest of the floor.

16. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

and what are and where did you get the boxes?
    they must be milatary they look like you could set a bomb off in side them /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

17. AgDieseler

[ QUOTE ]
    and what are and where did you get the boxes?
    they must be milatary they look like you could set a bomb off in side them /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    You just about called it. They are GI storage boxes designed to hold fuses for C4 bombs. I picked them up at an Army surplus store in El Paso. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

bbwwwwahahahhaahha

threy look nice i want to find some for me, do they have a seal like ammo boxs? i want bigger ammo boxs to hold recovery toools and truck gear, how m /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifuch they run?

19. AgDieseler

They are air tight, and I can testify that they float when loaded with all kinds of stuff. One box hold flares, fire extinguisher, extra tow strap, and related stuff. The other holds spare parts - alternator, fan clutch, starter rebuild parts, and a few other small parts I may need on the trail.

They're difficult to find, but if you can, then expect to pay nearly $40 per. I got a kickass deal at $25 each, but that's not average at all.

20. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

if you find some for cheap let me knoe ill never see that kind of stuff in canada, you only se ammo cans every once and a while, i only have one because i wanted a bigger one i dont want 15 can bounceing around the back of my truck. i need them there big ones.