Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

suburban stuff.... our trucks rule!

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by muddysub, Jul 3, 2002.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i've heard that suburbans are harder to flip cuz they're longer. is that true?

flashlight is right we need to use this forum more. i think we should turn it into an elite suburban click. like "oh you don't drive a sub, why are you here then"

who is it that has "CK5 SUB-culture" in their sig? we could all put that in our sigs. and make the K5 guys feel alienated. the CK5 SUB-culture can be our own club. we could get creative with this. hehehehehe

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

But I've got a '90 Sub and a '75 K5, plus a '94 Sub and a '91 S-Jimmy. At least they're all GM's! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. muddysub

since you have a sub, you're cool. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. HarryH3

I was wheelin' when wheelin' wasn't cool! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

WOOHOO! Lets hear it for the 2-door subs! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

6. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

PERSONALLY I LIKE THE IDEA OF A SUB CLUB. I ALMOST ROLLED MINE WITH 6IN AND 35'S, IT WENT OVER ABOUT 50 TO 60 DEGREES AND STOPPED. MY HEART KEPT RIGHT ON GOING THOUGH AND UNFORTUNEATELY I DIDN'T GET A PICTURE. I MUST ADMIT THAT THEY ARE PRETTY DARN DIFFICULT TO ROLL. A BUDDY OF MINE IS A STATE TROOPER ACCIDENT INVESTEGATER AND HE SAYS HE HAS NEVER SCENE A SUB ON IT
    'S ROOF. JUST SOME FOOD FOR THOUGHT, I THINK IT'S A WEIGHT THING AS APOSED TO A LENGTH THING WHEN COMPARED TO THE K5'S /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think it's because proportionaly you see much fewer lifted Sub's than lifted K5's. It's not so much weight as center of gravity...

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Muddysub wrote: and make the K5 guys feel alienated

[/ QUOTE ]
    Then who would help you with all your questions? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Rene

8. FLASHLIGHT76

YOU KNOW ITS FUNNY YOU SAY THAT BECAUSE HERE IN OREGON I SEE MORE LIFTED SUBS THAN K5'S. SUB ARE WORTH LOTS HERE THEY DON'T STAY FOR SALE LONG AND EVERYONE WANT'S THEM. I'M STILL VOTING ON THE WEIGHT SO FAR THAT HAS BEEN A TREMENDOUS ASSET FOR ME. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif ALTHOUGH THE FLIP THEY REFER TOO MAY BE END OVER END WHEN HILL CLIMBING OR DOWN HILLING. JUST A THOUGHT /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

9. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Suburban rolled here, 2wd even....it had used a neon as a ramp though...

10. holyjohnson

holyjohnson Registered Member

i think the NTSB found the suburbans lower center of gravity and vehicle weight made them less likely to roll in an accident,but that pretty much goes out the window with a big lift and big tires.the long length of the sub does make doing doughnuts in the snow fun for anyone in back though.ive seen one sub roll on a trail and it was almost in slow motion.
    i personally think the suburban makes the ultimate dual purpose vehicle.and im all for a sub tech section of our own.
    goodluck
    SUB-ELITE

11. OffroadBeast

OffroadBeast Registered Member

Hello, just a comment from an outsider(still) and yes i own a 91 Sub (also had a lifted 81 k-5 and an 6" lift 38x14.5" 78 cj-7). My wife and I are looking for Sub owners to trade tips with etc... and if this column had more use I am sure we would join instead of being a freeloader. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif
    Almost everyone here (Nashville)has k-5's so we are a little unusual fixing up the burb. we would not trade this truck for anything though... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

12. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

When I first bought my 1977 GMC Sub in 1984, lifted Suburbans were almost non-existant in So Cal...I put on a 6" lift and 36"x14.50" Flot Tracs (remember those?!) and was unique!! Yeah, lifted Blazers and such were around, but that's back when (in 1984) 4" lift was considered big...and 6" was almost unheard of!! Funny how things change with time, now 6" lift is more the norm.

13. muddysub

yeah lifted subs are still less common than K5s. so do we wanna start an all suburban club? i think it would be awesome! oh and my sub has air now i got it charged today!!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

14. HarryH3

I finally got a few pics snapped of my '90 Sub. Click on the link in my sig, then click on the ThunderBus link at the left of the page. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif It's not lifted yet, since I figured it would be easier to do the engine swap before I put the lift on it. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

15. muddysub

did it have those running boards from the factory? my sub had those too.

16. HarryH3

I think they were aftermarket items. Those and the bug shield came off the first weekend after I bought it! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif They're in storage in the garage, waiting to go to a good home... /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

17. Smurfmobile85

Smurfmobile85 1/2 ton status

In our area of Washington lifted 'Burbans are popping up everywhere! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif On a normal drive home from the store you can see about 5 other lifted Suburbans. Blazers and trucks still out number us by a long shot though. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif We've only been out wheelin' with another 'Burb once! There were two others that time (Memorial Day 2002) and it was cool to see some others "Wow!" the little Blazers. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

18. FLASHLIGHT76

i THINK THERE SHOULD DEFFINATELY BE A CLUB DEVOTED TO JUST SUBS. I LIKED THE "K5 SUB CULTURE" IDEA SO WELL THAT I ADDED IT TO MY SIG. THE SUB BY FAR IS THE TRUE ALL PURPOSE VEHICLE. AND THE BEST PART IS THEY USUALLY COME WITH THE BEST IN DRIVE TRAIN AND CHASSIS STRENGTH OUT THERE. I WAS READING ABOUT THE NEW JEEP RUBICON AND HAD TO LAUGH WHEN THEY WERE SO JAZED TO SEE DANA 44'S. MOST SUBS COME WITH THAT OR BETTER. I SAY WE GO FOR THE CLUB IDEA. I KNOW I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR ONE. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif <font color="green"> </font color>

19. muddysub

yeah the "CK5 SUB CULTURE", I'll talk to steve...

20. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I love seeing other lifted Subs out on the road. I have only seen them off roading in the mud though. I don't think I have ever seen another one out rock crawlin.