Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suburban tire questions...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Martino, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Martino

Martino Registered Member

Hi all.

I have a couple easy (i hope) questions about tires on Suburbans. My brother has a '91 4x4 that he wants to put new tires and rims on. We were both thinking 15" x 10" wide for rims. Any reason that is a stupid idea? Stock rims on there now, with 31x10.5x15 tires. Should we go with wider than 10.5 tires on 10" rims? 31 is plenty tall...

Also, I have an '89 2wd that has 8" rims, and 31x10.5x15 tires. The tires are in great shape, but I want wider rims. Can I go to 10" rims and use the same tires, or do I need wider tires than rims...? (kind of the same question as above.) Also, if I wanted to, could I go with taller tires, like 32's without rubbing or anything...?

kind of newb questions, so thanks for your time.

-martino

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

personally, i don't like the look of 10"wide rims with a 12.5 wide tire,,,to me it looks too stretched, i am currently running 15x8 with the 33/12.5 tire, and think it looks good.

Best thing i would think to do, is to get a good look at other peoples setup, tire sizes and rims,,whatever, thats how i got an idea of what i wanted.

3. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I was running 31's with a 10" rim on my 93 and I think they looked great.

4. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I like having my rims about 2" narrower than my tires, works well for me for a dd/weekend warrior and seems to wear the tires pretty even (excluding swampers) but in answer to your question there is no reason you can't do it

5. mich6212

mich6212 Registered Member

i even have 35/12.5 on my stock 15 by 8 rally's. no problems here, and looks good too. :D