Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suburban Truggy Project

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 2High4U, Feb 4, 2006.

1. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

I have a 78 or so suburban that i want to make a truggy and I was thinking about cutting behind the pillar of the rear door and remove the back part of the body. I want to also make it a convertable like my 73 blazer and make a couple of roll bars to reinforce the body where the pillars were cut. I was also thinking about shotening the frame a bit suburbans are loooong.

what does everyone think ideas or suggestions?

eventuallly I will be posting picks a friend of mine is taking the motor and most of the interior so when he gets done the cutting begins.

lots of fab work is going to be involved to strengthen the frame and improve the crossmembers.

Im new to the suburban so i dont know what works and what doesnt so if any has something they know let me know, im all ears for any suggestions.

thanks brothers.

2. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Willyswander

3. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

:confused:

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

there a quite a few guys who have done the top cutting look at the suburban section of the forum. btw its willyswanter and did a crewcab buildup

5. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

ohh ok i searched the name and didnt find anything i will look at the one with the new spelling to see what i find. I was hoping that maybe a few pics might be around:D

6. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

OK Willyswanter. I was linking to Willyswanter because its just about where 2high is going, 4 dr topless truggy pictures.:D Actually, I called one a Burggy two weeks ago(?):haha:

7. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

thanks for the search name i checked it out and it gave me a few ideas that i havent thought of. im gonna do some major hacking on the body and frame to make it shorter and a convertable. ill have to look at the burban and see what my best approach to doing this will be.

after it is shortened i plan on forming the rear to a point of some kind with tubing that connects to the roll bars or cage. narrowing the front looks like it would be a good idea too.

will the spring swap work on the burban.. putting rear springs on the front? (same procedure as the blazers) and where can i get a good set of shock hoops for it?

im going to only go single shocks instead of the dual but a friend of mine is selling a better setup for the dual shock design that is stronger than the ones you can buy that i saw. if any one is interested shoot me a pm.

8. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

:hack: just cut the cargo area roof and the a$$ end. Only problem I find is the big butt these have and trying to avoid breaking the back windows. I have my ideas for a burgy but I dont want to give you all my plans :ignore: :D
    :burb: :hack: :crewcab: