Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

suburban unibody swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by midget, Mar 24, 2003.

1. midget

midget Registered Member

Well, I don't know if anyone is interested or not but I just did a major swap with my 74 /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif. The body/interior sucked, drivetrain was/is great: 454, th400, np205, dana 60 w/detroit, ff14 bolt w/detroit and 35" bfg's. I've definately spent some time and money on the bottom side.

This weekend I picked up a great 76 sitting on a 2/4 frame with no engine. The truck was in great shape inside and out. Looked almost new. I had some extra time this weekend wo I thought I would swap the whole body/ interior from the 2x4 frame to my 4x4 frame/driveline.

I dont know if anyone has done this or not, but i dont know anybody that has personally. It actually went pretty smoothly, everything bolted up with the exception of the tranny/tcase tunnel. The 2x4 has a smaller/shorter tunnel that the 4x4 body. To fix this i cut out the tunnel from my 4x4 body and cut a corresponding hole in the new body and bolted the tunnel in place. Worked very well, just like the stock 4x4 piece that bolts in right behind the firewall.

I just thought i would send this in. It was pretty straight forward,, just took alot of hours... i think about 35 hours or so but i did a bunch of cleaning/modifying/improving or whatever you want to call it,, maybe just wasting time...... but now i've got the great drive train as well as the super nice body with front/rear ac,, its kinda nice for a daily driver.

2. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

A friend of mine wanted to do that. He has a 90 or 91 burb, power everything, new 700, perfect running 350, beautiful interior, but 2wd. He got in a 3/4 burb, body was trashed, but the frame was really clean. Think he would do it if the newer burb's body was in better shape. He was fixing some stuff on it, and were it was fixed before is rotting out. So, he doens't know what the hell he is doing now....He has more projects than he know what to do with.....

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I just did that with my dads burb a month or so ago. Same thing, 4x2 body on a 4x4 frame, cept he like the idea of having a lower tranny tunnel, so we just installed a body lift and cut a hole for the shifter. We have lots of pic in my WEBSHOTS album if your interested in looking /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif