Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suburban vs Pick Up?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by viperrgh20, Apr 8, 2006.

1. viperrgh20

viperrgh20 Registered Member

So I'm looking to get a GM for off-road. I really like the look of Suburbans but I was wondering if a Suburban from being so long has less off-road capabilites to other trucks. If I dont get a suburban itd prob be a full size pick up so Im guessing the two shouldent be any diffrent? What about crew cabs? Thanks

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

what type of offroading? burbs have a lot of rear over hang but i love them and would like to have one for offroading

3. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

it depends on what you want. i have the fullsize p/up but no room for the family:( so now i'm looking for a burb :D and the wife wants one 2

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the burb overall length is about 6-8" more than a longbed truck, but the wheel base is 2" shorter than a longbed truck.

i love my truck offroad, especially in the tight trails, i love to prove that haveing a shortwheel base is not needed to wheel, and that a long wheel base is very nice to have in some situations.

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

It really depends on what you are doing. I love my burb, but I camp it it and normally have 3-4 guys with me. I use it mostly for longer trips and the extra room is great.

6. viperrgh20

viperrgh20 Registered Member

Nothing extreme here, live on long island. To get an idea this is where me and my buddies currently off-road http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y89/Max00racer/Off%20roading/ The biggest thing for me is the cool factor but of couse I want good capabilites I think itd be cool to fill up the burb wit 8 ppl and go wheeling haha.. thats what I was primiarly wondering the dif in lengeth and wheel base between the two and seems like the burb is worse :( o well.. Ill prob still keep looking for one just not insist on one...

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Like brandon said, the Burb has a lot of overhang so you have to approach things differently, but it is a fun truck to wheel.

8. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

when my k5 was on stock lift with 33's, my rear trailer hitch hit stuff.

consider this though, for every 1" of lift, your hanging angle dramatically changes.

Im sure you can figure out some Elementary school triganometry to calculate it. ;) Cause I know im too lazy too nowadays. 7" in the rear is good for a burb, I would think. Especially if your hauling 8 people, the sag alone would drop it by 3"

9. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

I hacked my over hang off :D a wopping 20" . The Burbs are fun to wheel but I've seen the back side windows bust out pretty easy from banging around . I can fit 5 full size people in my rig and carry spares and a few coolers . I have had a few Blazers and 4 pick ups + 2 crew cabs and I would vote get a suburban . They are usually cheaper than the pick up's and Blazers . I almost bought another one for a tow rig but I got the deal on the crewcab . Get a burb with barn door cause the tailgates suck . The weight over the rear wheels gives you better traction then a pickup truck . Just don't open your door when you are flexed out :haha: . They do get some serious body flex :eek1: .

10. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

This is my rig. The thing I like about my truck is that it can carry a load and people at the same time, but the wheel base is much too long to take this truck out for any serious wheeling.

[​IMG]

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Let's see, 2 Suburbans, 1 S-10 Jimmy, and 1 K5 parked at my house. :) I borrow a buddy's trailer when I need to carry stuff that's too dirty to put inside of them. :cool1:

12. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

If you're looking for day-trip blast, Blazers and short-beds are it. If you want to get away, camp, haul plywood, Burbs and long-beds.
    I went to the Tierra del Sol weekend, most of toys came on trailers, behind RVs. The Burb is pretty easy to "self contained". But hey, not getting younger, being able to stand would be nice. So I started thinking about a camper. Hmmm. Sorry guys but I get GM discount. Hmm. New K30 long-bed, single cab, "four-wheel pop-up camper", tall tires, lockers, gears, hmmm. I think I'm sold already, just finding a way to restructer the $$.:haha:

mud.jpg

13. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

A Burb is about the same length as a longbed pickup, but with 2" shorter wheelbase. ;)

14. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

As long as you remember how long the truck is there's no problem taking a suburan offroad. The only thing I've noticed is that the rear sidewindows are a lot easier to crack then those on a blazer since they are mounted directly in the body vs in the hardtop.

/Johan