Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suburban

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MagnuM4WD, Jul 28, 2006.

1. MagnuM4WD

MagnuM4WD 1/2 ton status

Hi! I am Mihai, I'm from Bucuresti - Romania and I'm new on this forum. I have a 1991 Chevrolet Suburban V2500 Silverado 6.2L Diesel, but here, in Romania, is not an usual car, so, is not so easy to find somebody who knows this cars! For this reason, I decide to come here and try to speak with you. I hope you understand me and excuse me, if I don't speak corectly!
    On the first look, I have on my car (but I'm not shore):
    - 4L80E gear box (17 bolts). 4 speeds automatic, with overdrive (P, R, N, D inside on a ring, D, 2, 1).
    - NP 241 transfer case. I understand is with chain.
    - GM 10 bolt 8-1/2" ring gear front axle, with 4 shock absorbers.
    - GM 14 bolt 10-1/2" ring gear rear axle, but, how can I know is not a GM 14 bolt 9-1/2" ring gear? From the outside have same look!
    I ask you:
    - How is change the speeds, because, until now, I was able to count only 3 speeds?! (I don't run faster than 95km/h)
    - What is the speed limit on each speed?
    - Where I found some informations about this engine, V8 6.2L Diesel (bore x stroke, capacities, fuel economy, etc.)?
    - The rear brake is not equal on bouth weels, the right weel is block very easy! What is the cause?
    - I have some problems with the dash board lights. Where I found an electric diagram?
    - When the engine is hot, it's start very hard (the light from the glow plugs is not work anymore, after first start!).
    - Where it have the hazard lights switch?! How it's work the flash, when the lights is off?
    I stop here, for moment, until I remember another problems!!! :burb:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2006
  2. MagnuM4WD

MagnuM4WD 1/2 ton status

Sorry! I don't know how to put pictures from my PC, to the forum!
    Another question: what type of springs, have on the rear axle, this type of car (52" or 56")?

3. Quackaddict

Quackaddict 1/2 ton status

Holy welcome from the other side of the world. I don't know a lot about that vehicle but wanted to say hi.

Someone here will have all the answers to your questions you can't go wrong here.:laugh:

4. MagnuM4WD

MagnuM4WD 1/2 ton status

Thank you! I'm shore I'll find here peoples who knows and loves this car!

5. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You just wait excited little buddy. You'll be swamped with info. in no time.

-Avery

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

1991 three-quarter tons, i.e. 2500 series, should have the 4L80E transmission, yes. The D-with-the-ring is OD, the over drive.

There are lots of wiring diagrams and other information on my website

http://brochures.slosh.com

The hazard switch is on the right of the steering column, pull out to engage them, push in to disengage. (Or is it the other way around?) They flash with the lights on or off, but they do stay solidly on when you press the brake pedal.

The rear brakes are drum-type; I would check out the linkages to verify that they move freely. Also check the star adjusters on the bottom of each side, and that the drum shoes are of equal thickness.

The two types of 14 bolts are also called full-floating (10.5" gear) and semi-floating (9.5" gear). I look at the wheels; if the shafts stick out the sides, past the wheel mounting surface, then it's a full-floater. If the wheel mounting surface is flat, it's a semi-floater.

Also check the shape of the rear differential cover... IIRC, the 14BSF is different from the 14BFF:

http://www.coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml

I am not so familiar with the newer diesels, as mine is older and different as it's ex-military. I would suspect that either the glow plugs are burnt out (in which case I believe you want to buy the Kennedy Quick Heat ones on Ebay, for instance) or the glow plug controller, about which I know nothing as mine hasn't broken yet. I think :)

Oh yeah, and welcome to CK5 -- great place, and good to see the CK trucks around the world!
    -- A

7. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

Sounds like he got the tow package also. e.g. Quad shocks. :)

8. MagnuM4WD

MagnuM4WD 1/2 ton status

Thank you, dremu!!! Now I see... My rear axle is semi-floating, flat mounting surface. In that case is a 9-1/2" ring? Thanks again for the diagrams! I like your site!
    About flash; I ask about head lights flash. When the lights are off, I can't signal with the lights - long beam. When the lights are on, all I can do, is to change the beams, from short, to long. Is possible to be from the switch? Usually, here, all the cars have a possition on the switch, where is not stay, if is not hold by the hand, but on that possition, with lights on, or off, I can signal with the long beam! This car have some like this and I don't know how to use it?
    My car is a 1991 old body style; VIN: 1GNGV26J0MF129670. In some papers the "F" from the VIN, is not appear! So, the engine is not a new type, is LL4 code.
    How can I post attachments, on this site?

9. MagnuM4WD

MagnuM4WD 1/2 ton status

Sorry! What mean i.e.?

10. Slapperbar

i.e.= for example.
    No signaling on with the headlights when they're off. All you can do is switch from high beam (long) to low beam (short) when they're on.
    Option, Use a momentary switch and a relay to the high beams to signal with.

11. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

It's an abbreviation of the Latin term id est, or roughly "that is". You'll often see either i.e. or e.g. (exempli gratia, which is roughly "for the sake of example") incorrectly used, when the other is appropriate. I catch myself doing that sometimes.

It's good to se these vehicles pop up in distant countries. A diesel Blazer in Madagascar, bought at an embassy sale, and now a diesel Suburban in Romania!

I don't suppose you were lucky enough to receive the original owner's manual with your Suburban; it might prove useful. A factory shop manual would also be a great help. Both could be a chore to track down over there, but something like ebay or abebooks.com might give good service.

By the way, your English usage, as far as sentence structure, spelling, and punctuation is notably better than some folks that are alledgedly native English speakers. I have a friend that lives about 800km to the West of you (in Zagreb), and his English usage is also surprisingly good. Not perfect, but far superior to my terrible Croatian, which I butcher so thoroughly that we just stick to English.

12. Slapperbar

13. MagnuM4WD

MagnuM4WD 1/2 ton status

I hope I'll be lucky enough, to buy an original owner's manual!!!:smile1:
    English...!! This is our luck!;) Usually, you don't have a reason, to learn a foreighn language, withuot passion, or demand, especially a less use one, like romanian, croatian, etc.! You already speak an international language! Me, even with my PC, I must speak in english... Another fact: more than 90% from movies and music, is in english! Here, in Romania, the foreighn movies, have subtitles down on the screen, so, we can hear the original sound. And is better in that way; how it sound the Arnold line "I'll be back", in hungarian, or bulgarian, etc.?:eek1: Like sheet!:haha: By the way: if you was in my place, what do you prefer to learn, english, or russian??:confused: I already make my choose!;)
    I still can't put pictures, from my PC, to the forum!!:dunno: How can I make this option available? I have some pictures with my Chevy, made when I buy it. Maybe you can tell me more, after you see the pictures.

14. Slapperbar

try Photobucket.com to host them and then copy the http link into the insert image link. Or you could e-mail them to me and I'll do it.

15. MagnuM4WD

MagnuM4WD 1/2 ton status

Thank you!!!:bow:
    This is my car, before I buy it. Now I have a different plates - B 90 GMC.;) :saweet:
    http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n221/MagnuM4WD/

16. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Ah, you also have the so-called "barn doors" in the back, that open side-to-side, instead of the flip-down "tailgate" like a Blazer. These are fairly rare, and IMHO, quite desirable.

-- A

17. MagnuM4WD

MagnuM4WD 1/2 ton status

IMHO??? I don't know all the shortcuts!

18. Slapperbar

Very clean Dude! Deffinately got the tow package, the reciever is a GM piece. A little break down of your VIN;
    VIN decoding of 1GNGV26J0MF129670
    Model year: 1991
    Drive: 4WD
    Engine: 6.2L diesel V8
    Series: 3/4 ton (20/25)
    Body: Suburban
    Plant: Flint
    Serial #: 129670
    For the RPO codes in the glove box go Here. http://www.c2e.info/rpocodes/MODERNGMRPO.html
    Hopefully the link isn't dead.

19. Slapperbar

In My Honest Opinion

20. Slapperbar