Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

subwoofer/ amp question:

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Thumper, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I just bought a cheapie amp: its called Rampage 240 watts 4 channel. I want to run my cheapie 12" 150 watt subwoofer with it. In the instructions for the hookup of the amp, it doesnt mention a sub at all... only hooking up 4 channels from the stereo unit out to 4 speakers. Can I run the sub alone with it? Or maybe run my 6x9s on two channels and run the sub on one of the others?
    Im lost when it comes to stereo stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Mike

2. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

does it mention being bridgeable in the destructions? if so you can run a pair of speaker with 2 cannels and run the - from one side of the unused left channel and the right + from the other or howecer the amp is configured for bridging some amps can't be bridged directions should say or amp may have sticker for wire hookup! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Doesnt mention bridgeable at all.
    Dont tell me that I bought one that wont work for me. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Mike

4. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Do you have model AMP-604
    [​IMG]

or model AXT-240
    [​IMG]

In either case, on page 9 of the owners manual for both models it says "Never combine (bridge) outputs for use with 2 speakers".

You can run the 2 6x9s off of the front or rears and then hook up the sub to one of the other outputs (you'll have one output hooked to nothing). The sub is just another speaker, only it is designed to reproduce lower frequencies more efficiently than higher frequencies. You won't hurt the sub but you will be wasting some power from your amplifier. With only 60 watts trying to drive a 12" sub you probably won't hear much out of it, especially since some of the audio won't be reproduce (the mids and highs) out of the sub. Try it and see how you like it, you've got nothing to lose.

5. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Cool, its the second one the AXT 240 that I have. I found that para in the manual last night so I just hooked it up like you said. The 6x9s sound good, and there is some bass from the sub but its not real loud. I had a 150 W Yamaha amp in there before that had settings on it that specifically ran a sub, so it sounded way better but I swamped it in the mud one day and it packed in. I will probably look for another one like that... it only sent the low bass stuff to the sub, no other freq ranges at all so I kinda wanted that again. Guess I didnt read the box when I bought this one hehe. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    Thanks
    Mike

6. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

EBAY i just bought a precision power 2150m (old school) for $70 bucks US 2x150 watts at 4ohms or 600 watts bridged -one channel. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif PPI A600's work ok also more power is better, not enough power will destroy speakers!

7. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Cool... I have been looking around all day. Doesnt anyone make a simple 1 channel 100-150W amp that can run a sub by just outputting the bass to it? Oh ya, that wont cost me much? All I can find are these 600+W amps that run 4 channels and cost 1000.00! I will take a look at ebay.
    Thanks.
    Mike

8. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

usually people go with a 2 channel amp to run subs. you can run 2 subs 1 with each channel or bridge the channels to one for one sub. buying used is always a risk, but i have had good luck on ebay. i prefer PPI but there are alot of great brands like JL audio,ORION, RF,ZAPCO and so on you can get a nice amp used for alot less than a lesser quality one from a stereo shop! just my opinion! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Cool... I have been looking around all day. Doesnt anyone make a simple 1 channel 100-150W amp that can run a sub by just outputting the bass to it? Oh ya, that wont cost me much? All I can find are these 600+W amps that run 4 channels and cost 1000.00! I will take a look at ebay.
    Thanks.
    Mike

[/ QUOTE ]Yeap, do a search for mono amps. I run class D amps for my subs.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Did alittle searching on Ebay and found this. Don't know anything about this name brand, but it's close too what you're looking for. Hope this helps.

11. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

i've run several diff amps, and bridged the 'rear' to power one sub...never had a problem. If i didn't have the amp i have and of course my sub, and was in the market, i'd just get an amped Bazooka tube...under $150 and sounds good.(there are knock offs too, but don't know how they price)

12. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Do those things sound good? Like a regular sub in a box? I looked at one the other day.
    Mike

13. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

they sound great! I actually bought a pioneer style tube for the (now ex) wifes car a few yrs ago...they have 6" up to 12". My buddy had 2 6"-ers in his p/u behind the seat and it really bumped.